The AlphaCore text-to-speech app helps to speed and facilitate communication for literate people with a wide variety of access needs like those with ALS/MND. Developed by a speech pathologist, AlphaCore incorporates features proven effective by research and inspired by the day-to-day experiences of patients and caregivers. AlphaCore provides 4 keyboards designed to maximize efficiency and speed for people at different stages of ALS or anyone who may need alternative access. Keyboards include: - TouchType Keyboard: for people who are typing on either a Bluetooth keyboard or tablet touchscreen. The TouchType keyboard has a major advantage over other text to speech apps in that all of the functions such as CLEAR, SPEAK, an Altering Chime, as well as word & phrase prediction options can be activated with F-Keys on the Bluetooth keyboard. - AlphaCore Keyboard: designed for those using a mouse, touchpad, trackball, joystick or a head or eye tracker. This keyboard provides rapid sentence building with single hit selection of high frequency core vocabulary, Core vocabulary is a small set of high-usage words that account for about 75% of the words we say. - Large Keyboard: ideal for people with visual or targeting difficulties or those who just prefer a simple keyboard with word prediction. This keyboard still provides access to the phase pages used with the TouchType or AlphaCore Keyboard so a transition to this keyboard is seamless. - Extra Large Keyboard: an ingenious 16 key keyboard incorporating next letter prediction as well as word and phrase prediction. Eye trackers especially those with decreased ability to control eye movement can continue to interact with a system that just seems to be guessing what you are going to say. AlphaCore also features easy to customize phrase pages to - facilitate participation in conversation - guide caregivers as to your needs, - assist in a variety of common phone interactions - provide others with tips and strategies that will help them to better interact with you. AlphaCore incorporates all of these features in a simple fusion of patient-driven requirements and strategies that boost communication speed and efficiency. A portion of AlphaCore’s proceeds will be donated to the MDA’s Home Visit Grant. This grant funds Augmentative/Alternative Communication (AAC) evaluations, system customizations and family trainings by speech therapists for people with ALS.
What's new in this version
18.104.22.168 - New colored core vocabulary pages - Performance improvements - Numerous small bug fixes and enhancements 22.214.171.124 - Added the ability to share the current message window text via the share charm (Windows 8.1) and share menu item (Windows 10) 126.96.36.199 - Fixed an issue where a button typed the incorrect word - Workaround for an issue where speech and sounds on the same button would overlap - Tweaked the layouts of the Expansion and Message Banking settings 188.8.131.52 - Changed the Send Feedback mechanism to be Help and Feedback, which links to the AlphaCore website where users can access the manual, F.A.Q., etc. - Updated some internals 184.108.40.206 - Fixed an issue where "I" and "I"-based contractions (I'm, I'd, I've, I'll, etc) show without proper capitalization in prediction - Fixed a spelling mistake in the UI - Updated some internals 220.127.116.11 - Fixed an issue where the Enter key could cause issues with later key presses - Fixed a few layout issues - Updated some internals 18.104.22.168 - Fixed an issue where F9 would not trigger the attention button on some layouts - Fixed an issue with importing some message banking files with certain characters 22.214.171.124 - Fixed a few layout issues 126.96.36.199 - Fixed a bug where change the label and text of a button separately would only keep the most recent change.
- Word, letter and phrase prediction which quickly learns your words and phrases.
- 4 Keyboards designed to accommodate different physical and visual abilities.
- Supports a wide-range of access methods including mouse, touchscreen, trackball, joystick, touchpad, and head or eye tracker.
- Adjustable dwell select available for mouse, head or eye trackers who cannot click.
- Easy method to store short codes that expand into complete messages (e.g. NG=I need my glasses please).
- Customizable phrase pages containing common messages that Users, Caregivers and Speech Therapists have found useful and meaningful. Saves family and Speech Therapists hours of customization.
- Telephone communication pages that assist in a variety of common phone interaction and scenarios.
- Loud chime to alert caregivers of a need.
- Gentle chime to let friends know when you are ready with a message.
- A page of stored messages that educate communication partners how to better communicate with an AAC user called Communication Tips.
- Quick toggle button to switch between speaking messages as they are constructed to waiting for the selection of SPEAK button to communicate anything written in the message window
- Automatic populating of messages recorded at MessageBanking.com into phrase pages saving hours of individual button programming.