Newser's writers and editors carefully select approximately 45 of the most essential, entertaining, and delightfully quirky news items to cover each day. And at just two paragraphs each, our sharply written stories pack in only the most interesting details—none of the boring stuff—and are quick and easy to digest, especially on the go. And we're pretty to look at, too: our signature grid, reformatted for Windows 8, lets eye-catching photos and short and snappy headlines do the talking, providing a vivid snapshot of the day's news.
What's new in this version
New in version 1.3 - July 10, 2014: - Updated various third party libraries. - Changed advertising. - Minor bug fixes and improvements. New in version 1.2 - July 10, 2013: - Resolved issue with certain ads not loading. - Added verbiage on the story page image stating the number of images. - Fixed a problem with certain source links not working properly. - Other minor improvements and bug fixes. New in version 1.1 - June 25, 2013: - Added the 'Stories I've Read' feature which optionally shades stories that you've read. - Added the ability to 'flip' through all images on a story or article. - Displayed AP articles in the app rather than in the browser. - Improve error handling including when you are not connected to a network. - Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
- Graphic quick view of current headlines
- Alternate views of the news (by date, popularity, section, importance, etc.)
- Live tile updates of the number of unread stories
- Media galleries
- Social sharing of stories via Facebook, Twitter email and text messages
- Voting on stories as Brilliant, Hilarious, Intriguing, Depressing, Ridiculous, or Scary
- Search feature covering years of story archives