Office 365 Personal
• For one person • For use on multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones (including Windows, iOS, and Android*) • Premium versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for PC only • 1TB OneDrive cloud storage with advanced security • Collaborate on documents with others online • Tech support via chat or phone with Microsoft experts • Annual or monthly subscription. Your subscription will automatically continue. Cancel anytime. *iOS and Android require separate app download
Save 17% with annual subscription
Office 365 Personal
Create your best work. With Office 365 Personal, you get Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and more. Work anywhere with apps that are always updated. Available in an annual or monthly subscription. Your subscription will continue until cancelled.
For 1 Person
1 TB storage per user
Office 365 Highlights
Familiar apps, always updatedGet the latest premium versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (features vary), Outlook, Access, and Publisher with instant access to new features every month.1
1TB Secure cloud storageGet 1TB (1024GB) OneDrive cloud storage with ransomware detection and file recovery to safely, store, edit and share documents, photos and more from anywhere, on all your devices.
Optimized mobile appsView, edit, and create documents with advanced formatting and coauthoring features optimized for mobile phones and tablets.
Works across multiple devicesAvailable on PC, Mac, Windows Tablet, Windows Phone , iOS, Android 2
Stay connected with SkypeStay in touch with your friends and family around the globe with 60 minutes per month of Skype calling to mobile phones and landlines.3
Microsoft supportAs an Office 365 subscriber, get help right away from Microsoft trained experts, by phone or chat at no extra charge.
First, check to see if you are eligible for Office 365 Education, which is free for qualified teachers and students, and includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Microsoft Teams, and other classroom tools from Microsoft. Office 365 Education is not a trial, and is available for free to accredited academic institutions who have successfully signed up for this program.
To see if your computer, mobile device, and/or browser can run Office, please visit the Office system requirements page.
Internet access is required to install and activate Office, but not to use Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint once you have these fully installed on your computer.
People using Office 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 as well as Office for Mac 2011 and 2008 will be able to open and view your documents, but those on earlier versions may need to install a compatibility pack.
Documents that you have created or copied from others fully belong to you, and you can save them locally like on your PC or Mac, and/or store them online via a cloud service like OneDrive. Once your subscription expires, your Office apps enter read-only mode, which means you can still view or print documents but you can't create or edit them.
Find out how you can renew or cancel your Office 365 subscription, or turn automatic renewal on or off in this article in Office Support.
The steps for switching between Office 365 Home, Personal, and University differ slightly depending on the subscription you currently have and want to switch from. Click on the relevant link below for further guidance:
Yes, the Office 365 Training Center has quick start guides, cheat sheets, tips and tricks, and training courses on how you can make the best use of Office.
Office 365 FAQ with chat link: https://products.office.com/microsoft-office-for-home-and-school-faq
Frequently asked questions
You can check if your device can support your version of Office by viewing the full Office system requirements
No. Office applications are tailored to work best on each platform and device. The Office applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users.
Office 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013, Office 2010, Office 2007, Office for Mac 2011, and Office for Mac 2008 applications can open your documents without any additional action. Customers using earlier versions of Office may need to download and install a compatibility pack.
Yes. Documents that you have created belong fully to you. You can choose to store them online on OneDrive or locally on your PC or Mac. Learn what happens if you cancel your subscription.
Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Office 365 subscription plans. For Office 365 plans, Internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. You should also connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Office up to date and benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the Internet at least every 31 days, your applications will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents, but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your Office applications, simply reconnect to the Internet.
Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, OneDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, and Outlook.com. If you use any of these services, you already have a Microsoft account that you can use, or you can create a new account. Learn more about a Microsoft account. As part of signing up for a trial or purchasing Office, you will be prompted to sign in with a Microsoft account. You must be signed in with this account to install and manage your Office software, or to use some subscription benefits, including OneDrive storage and Skype minutes.
Users can activate 1 subscription for Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal and up to 25 licenses for Office Home & Student 2019, Office Home & Business 2019, and Office Professional 2019.
About Office trials
- Full Office desktop applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for Windows PCs).
- 1 TB of additional OneDrive cloud storage so you can save documents, photos and videos online and access them from nearly anywhere.
- 60 Skype minutes that you can use to call mobile phones and landlines. See the list.
- Create or sign in with an existing Microsoft account. What is a Microsoft account?
- Provide payment information to enable future monthly payments. International credit cards and PayPal (in some markets) are accepted.
- The payment method you provide will be automatically charged at the end of your first free month to ensure that you do not experience any interruptions with your service. You can cancel online without penalty before your trial ends, by visiting accounts.microsoft.com and turning off auto-renew in the payment and billing area.
- Once your payment method is confirmed, you'll be transferred to accounts.microsoft.com to install Office.
It depends on how you signed up for the trial:
- If you signed up via the Office website, and if auto-renew is enabled on the Microsoft Account site, your service will continue uninterrupted and your payment method will be automatically charged at the end of the trial, and then monthly thereafter. You do not need to re-install Office.
- If you signed up by clicking an icon on your new PC, your trial ends automatically after a month; it isn’t necessary to cancel it. When the trial ends, you’ll be prompted to choose which version of Office you want to purchase.
Not immediately. For example, if you had a trial of Office 365 Personal, you can’t sign up for a trial of Office 365 Home. However, one year after your trial or paid subscription ends, you can sign up for a new trial.
Product keys, redemption, and activation
A Product Key is a unique 25-character alpha-numeric code used to redeem and activate your Office product. You cannot use a product key for an older Office product (or a different product) to redeem your new copy of Office.
After you associate your Product Key to your Microsoft account, you can sign in to accounts.microsoft.com to install and manage Office. But it's a good idea to keep your Product Key in a secure location as proof of purchase or to help our support agents trace your product.
It's best to use your existing Microsoft account. If you use other Microsoft products or services (e.g. Xbox, OneDrive, Outlook.com, MSN or Bing), you may already have a Microsoft account and won’t need to create a new one. If you forgot your username or password, recover those details by returning to sign in and clicking on Can't access your account?
Your Microsoft account can have only one subscription associated with it. If you use the same Microsoft account to buy or redeem multiple Office 365 subscriptions, you extend the amount of time for your subscription, up to a maximum of 5 years. Note that doing so does not increase the number of devices you can install Office on or increase the amount of online storage that is available with the subscription. Learn more about adding another Office 365 home subscription plan to your account.
Language support for Office
Office 365 plans are available in most countries/regions. In countries/regions where Office 365 plans are not available, you can still buy an Office 2019 suite. When buying Office 365, it’s important that you select the country/region in which you will be billed and in which you’ll use the software. Selecting a different country/region may cause problems with subscription setup and renewal.
Office is available in the languages listed below. Not all languages are available in all countries/regions.
- For PCs running Windows: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Mac: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English (United States), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
- For iOS: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Android: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Catalan, Kannada, Malayalam, Persian, Tamil, and Telugu.
- Office 365: Each time you install Office on an additional PC or Mac at accounts.microsoft.com, you can choose the language in which to install Office.
- Office 2019: You can install language accessory packs after installing Microsoft Office, to add additional display, help, or proofing tools. Learn more about the Language Accessory Pack for Office.
OneDrive is an online storage service that you can use to store documents, notes, photos, music, videos, or other types of files. With OneDrive you can access your files from nearly any device and you can share them with others. Sign up for OneDrive.
The amount of additional storage that you get depends on your subscription:
- Customers with an active Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per subscription.
- Customers with an active Office 365 Home subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per user, for up to 6 users. Each additional user must have their own Microsoft account and be added to the Microsoft Account site.
To access documents stored on OneDrive, sign in to Office with the Microsoft account that you used to set up Office 365. If you have shared your Office 365 Home subscription with other members of your household, they should sign in with their Microsoft account. Learn more about signing in to Office. You can also sign in to OneDrive directly at OneDrive.com.
If you cancel your subscription or if it expires, you can still access and download all your files by signing in to OneDrive directly using the Microsoft account you used to set up Office 365. You do lose the additional storage that comes with your subscription, so you must save your files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage if your OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota.
They lose the additional OneDrive storage, but they can still access and download all files. If their OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota, they'll need to save files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage.
About Skype minutes
With Skype minutes you can call friends or family on their mobile phone or landline, whether they have a Skype account or not.
You can call the following countries/regions:
- Both landlines and mobile phones: Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand, and the United States.
- Landlines only: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Croatia, Colombia (excl. Lex), Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia (Jakarta), Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, and Venezuela.
Note that special, premium, and non-geographic numbers are not covered by Skype minutes. Additionally, it isn’t possible to place emergency calls.
Skype offers a variety of pay-as-you-go and subscription options to supplement Skype minutes. Visit www.skype.com for more details.
Download and install Office
You’ll need to determine which Office product keys correspond to each PC. Learn more.
Yes. You can purchase Office 365 subscriptions for both Mac and Windows. Office Home & Business 2019 or Office Home & Student 2019 are also available for Mac as a one-time purchase. Office applications available for a Mac are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. The Publisher and Access applications are not available for Mac.
Learn about which Office versions can work side-by-side on the same device in this article.
The actual download speed of Office depends on the speed of your Internet connection; a broadband Internet connection is recommended for the best download experience.
Icons for Office applications are created when you install Office. You can start the applications by clicking the icons, which are installed in the following locations:
- Windows 7: Start menu
- Windows 8: Start screen and Apps view (the view under the Start screen that includes all apps installed on a PC)*
- Windows 8.1: Apps view*
*If you cannot find your icons in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, go to the Start screen and type the name of the application you want to launch (for example, Word).
- Windows 10: Start menu. You can also type the name of the application you want to launch (for example, Word) in Cortana.
- You can also pin an application shortcut to your Start screen or your desktop taskbar for convenient access. Learn more.
- Mac OS X
- 10.6 (Snow Leopard): Dock
- 10.7 (Lion): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.8 (Mountain Lion): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.9 (Mavericks): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.10 (Yosemite): You can start the applications by clicking the application icons which can be found in the Launchpad and Applications folder in Finder.
To uninstall Office, first visit accounts.microsoft.com, and follow the onscreen instructions to deactivate Office. Deactivating Office leaves the Office applications on your PC in read-only mode, which means that you can view documents but can't edit or save them, and you can’t create new documents. To remove Office entirely, go to your PC's Control Panel and uninstall Office. For Mac, iPad, and Android tablets, follow the instructions on that device to uninstall an application.
- Office 365 customers can download or reinstall from accounts.microsoft.com.
- You may order a DVD back-up copy for the latest release Office products for a fee. Visit www.office.com/backup for details.
Get the core Office experience for free on your favorite tablets and phones. To find and download apps, visit the following pages: Office for iPad, Office for iPhone, Office for Android tablet, and Office for Android phone. For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps, get premium features with an eligible Office 365 subscription. For information about the premium features for mobile devices that are available with Office 365, visit www.office.com/information.
Office 365 customers with an active subscription always get the newest versions of the Office applications when they are available. When we release a new version of Office, you will be notified that you have the option to update your software to the latest version.
The latest version, Office 2019 for Mac, is now available to Office 365 subscribers as part of your subscription. To install Office 2019 for Mac, go to accounts.microsoft.com and follow the instructions there.
Managing your Office 365 subscription
To manage your billing information, renew or cancel Office, install or remove Office from your PCs or Macs, and/or manage Office on other devices at any time, visit accounts.microsoft.com.
Your Microsoft account can only have one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription before your Office 365 Home subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 Home subscription will be converted to the Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription (whichever you have chosen). However, you will immediately lose the Office 365 Home benefits of sharing Office with 5 other users, so you may choose to wait until your Office 365 Home subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal subscription before your Office 365 University subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 University subscription will be converted to Office 365 Personal.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. You can either convert your Office 365 Home subscription to Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University, or you can wait until your current subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription.
Renewals, cancellations, and billing
You will be notified before you’re charged when it’s time to renew an annual subscription. If you are signed up for a monthly subscription, your payment will be automatically debited each month and you won’t be notified in advance. You can change your payment method or cancel your subscription at any time by visiting the Microsoft Account site and signing in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
You have a few options for renewing. Regardless of the option you choose, be sure to renew using the same Microsoft account that you used when setting up your subscription.
- If auto-renew is enabled for your subscription, it will renew automatically. Your auto-renew setting is shown on the Microsoft Account site after you sign in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
- If auto-renew is not enabled, visit www.office.com/renew to purchase an Office 365 auto-renew subscription. The additional time will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
- To renew through the retailer that you purchased Office 365 from, return to that retailer and purchase another pre-paid one-year subscription. Follow the setup instructions included in the packaging – they are the same for setting up a new subscription. The additional year will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
Yes. When you renew early to the same Office 365 plan that you already have, the additional time is added to your existing subscription. For example, if you have two months left on your current subscription to Office 365 Home and you renew for one year (12 months), your subscription will run for 14 months.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from Microsoft via MicrosoftStore.com or Office365.com, you have two options for cancelling:
- You can cancel online by visiting the Microsoft Account site, signing in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office, and then turning off auto-renew. With this approach, your subscription will automatically expire when your remaining subscription time is up.
- To cancel immediately, contact Microsoft support and request an immediate cancellation.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from Apple via the iTunes Store, you will need to cancel your subscription with Apple. Learn more.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from another retailer, you may have to cancel your subscription with that retailer. You can confirm this by visiting the Microsoft Account site.
Support and resources
Showing 1-10 out of 490 reviews
- Most helpful
- Most recent
- Highest rated
- Lowest rated
- All ratings
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
Reviewed ByFrustrated beyond belief
15User Rating: 1 out of 5
Review title of Frustrated beyond beliefOutlook is a disaster!
I purchased Office 2016 as Outlook was threatening to shut down the server. Outlook 2016 did not fix the problem at all and now my email just re configures itself and stops working all together. I can't find the files anymore and cannot repair anything to help. Best yet, you can't talk to anyone live any more to help so your just left out in the cold. Expected soooo much more from MSoft.
Hello, We apologize for issues you are experiencing with Outlook 2016. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-Office-issues-af8728b5-ec64-4359-812d-264c6907ea75 to troubleshoot the issue. If you'd like to contact a support representative, you can reach us via any of the methods located here: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHelpContactUsPage/. We would be happy to assist in getting you up and running.
15User Rating: 1 out of 5
Review title of friedkarmaHate the subscription model
All I really wanted was Outlook. When I got it, I found that it didn't do the things I wanted (such as a combined inbox). Returned for a refund within hours of purchase. Why is Outlook free as a mobile app or browser page, but an arm and a leg if you want the full version on your PC?
Hello, the application Outlook 2016 offers many great features that are not available within the free mobile app. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/Outlook to learn more about the features & functions in Outlook 2016. You can click on the 'troubleshooting' link in the top right of this page to troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing.
25User Rating: 2 out of 5
Review title of Mike7654Outlook Disappointed
I have used Outlook for 20 years or more. My computer crashed and I bought a new one. I bought Office 365 online and downloaded it and installed it. When I start Outlook it displays a 'Script error' and when I try to setup an email account (bellsouth.net account) which I have had for 20 years also, it will not work. I have tried to re-install it but it still does not work.
Hi Mike, We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues in Outlook. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/Outlook and expand the 'Troubleshoot problems' section to troubleshoot the issue. If you'd like to speak with an answer technician, you can reach us via any of the methods located here: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHelpContactUsPage/. Your Office 365 subscription includes free technical support and we would be happy to assist you.
55User Rating: 5 out of 5
Review title of BrianFantastic.
Great as always. As a writer, Word and OneNote are the ones I use most. You have the option to change to Home or Personal when installing, pick Home, since it comes with access for more users. MS will add 9 months to your existing subscription. A+
15User Rating: 1 out of 5
Review title of lacerwritePoor
I purchased 365 Office two days ago and installed. It is still blocking my WORD pages and I can't figure out from this website how to tell it I paid and renewed.
Hello, we are sorry to hear that you are seeing notifications that your subscription is expired. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/A-subscription-notice-appears-when-I-open-an-Office-365-application-4cabe32c-f594-4c0e-9191-3d3ade10cceb and select the specific type of notification you are receiving, then proceed with the resolution steps. There is a link to contact us at the bottom of this page if you'd like to speak with a support representative. We would be happy to assist you.
25User Rating: 2 out of 5
Review title of territayNot So Happy
There was nothing wrong with the prior version but I went ahead and bought this. Since I've used it, I've had to do a force shutdown 3 times on 3 different occasions because it Word would freeze.
Hello, sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Office since installing. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Word-for-Windows-bf6bf17c-2807-4871-83ce-e337ae8f0b86 to troubleshoot issues you're experiencing with Word. There is a link to contact support at the bottom of this page if you'd like to speak with an answer technician. We would be happy to assist you.
35User Rating: 3 out of 5
Review title of Morgan22Good but word freezes constantly
I have Microsoft 365 - I love the email setup it's great, one of the best probably. But as a writer, I have to say that the Word application is subpar. It constantly freezes and crashes. It auto recovers only half the time, for certain documents only. I honestly want to rip my hair out every time the application does not respond (which is daily). When I turn on my laptop, it takes at least 15 minutes for the application to begin.
Hi Morgan, sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues within Word 2016. Please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Word-for-Windows-bf6bf17c-2807-4871-83ce-e337ae8f0b86 to troubleshoot the issue. There is a link to contact us at the bottom of this page if you'd like to speak with a support representative. We would be happy to assist you.
Reviewed ByTony G
15User Rating: 1 out of 5
Review title of Tony GIndocumented feature in Microsoft repair?
After a Windows 10 upgrade my Office 2013 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) no longer could save files. I used Microsoft's repair service and it erased my product code. Nothing in the instructions posted said it would do this. I could not quickly find my product disk from a few years ago so to stay in business I downloaded this software with essentially the same features as 2013 with the added benefit that I have to renew every year. Of course, now I am incentivized to find that old disk. The 2013 had a centralized file so that all the software in the suite were in one sub-file location, saving scrolling, the 2016 version scatters to individual launch points...
Hello Tony, we are sorry to hear that you are not having a positive experience using Office 365 so far. Please visit: https://support.office.com/ to learn more about all the great benefits of an Office subscription. Your subscription includes free technical support, and you can reach us via any of the methods located here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/28808/store-contact-support if you are experiencing issues.
55User Rating: 5 out of 5
Review title of ahasheenaTALL
45User Rating: 4 out of 5
Review title of SaritaGreat app