The first Linux distribution optimized for Windows Subsystem for Linux ( WSL ). Based on Debian. Built on work by Microsoft Research. From open-source software startup Whitewater Foundry. Pengwin is the first Linux distribution created specifically for WSL. It was created by WSL users who recognized the potential of the platform. The project is open source and community input is highly encouraged. Leverage the power of the Linux terminal on Windows. Get started in open source programming with git. Manage remote servers with OpenSSH or Azure CLI. Automate tasks with Python, PowerShell, or Bash. Run a local LAMP stack for testing your interactive website. Build with the latest open source libraries and tools, including NodeJS and Ruby Gems. Run many essential graphical Linux apps, like GNOME Builder. Easily deploy and interact with Docker. 予測非ラテン文字入力を設定します。 Use pengwin-setup to install VcXsrv or set up X410 to start at pengwin launch. Enable genuine HighDPI support, install your favorite Linux terminal like Terminator or Konsole, and create Start Menu shortcuts in Windows to all your Linux GUI apps. Pengwin installs itself as a menu entry in Windows Terminal. We crafted the background and the color palette for the best looking and usability in Windows Terminal. Access your C:\ drive at /mnt/C automatically. Copy and paste from Visual Studio into Emacs. Open Word from zsh. Pipe ifconfig.exe output into a Python script. It is a hybrid world. Pengwin bridges the gap between Windows and Linux. Pengwin also includes wslutilities to make working in the hybrid world easier. DISCLAIMER: Windows Insider Preview versions are not production-ready and can contain incompatibilities or bugs that affect the performance of Pengwin. We support insider versions on a best-effort basis.
What's new in this version
Existing users can update immediately by running $ pengwin-setup update 22.1.2: * Show a better message in WSL2 when the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature is not enabled * Keep the previous Debian repo for compatibility with packages expecting buster * Skip some steps in 00-pengwin.fish for non-interactive sessions * Add testing repo with a low priority * Change which by command -v in the scripts, due to which is deprecated and slower * Change command -v by command -q in fish scripts * Add an alias to the wsl command so that you can type wsl --version instead of wsl.exe --version inside Pengwin * Remove the version restriction in iproute, due to the latest kernel support the ss -a command without issues in WSL2 * Improve start menu shortcut generation (short the generated path) * dotnet package use the new repo for bullseye * Bump Python to 3.10.1 also updated all installation types * Fix gopath in go installer * Fix MariaDB 10.6 install and improve the overall LAMP installer * Show progress ring in profile tab and taskbar in Windows Terminal when updating pengwin-setup and generating start menu shortcuts * Install x11-utils as part of VcXsrv installation * Fix a bug that breaks XRDP upon SDKMan installation * Upgrade .NET installer to 6.0 * Switch to the newer poetry install script * Make the SDKMan install the latest Java by default when using the Java installer in pengwin-setup * Upgrade VcXsrv to 126.96.36.199
- Pengwin includes wslu, a set of useful open-source utilities for interacting between WSL and Windows.
- A custom pengwin-setup tool, accessible via $ pengwin-setup allows new Pengwin users to get started on Linux immediately.
- Support for many Linux graphical applications with no need to configure DISPLAY in Pengwin.
- pengwin-setup will automatically install and configure VcXsrv or can configure X410.
- Full high dpi compatibility, pengwin-setup will adjust the environment for you.
- Create Windows Start Menu items from Linux desktop apps.
- Install your favorite Linux terminal: Konsole, Terminator, Tilix, etc.
- Install 28,728 open source packages via the apt package management system from the vast Debian repositories and third-party Debian-compatible repositories from outside projects.
- A handful of unnecessary packages have been removed from the base image to reduce image size and increase stability.
- You have access to your Windows home directly from your Linux one via winhome symbolic link.
- Deploy a one-click LAMP stack.
- We have handcrafted a Windows Terminal profile for a pleasant experience.
- Install the most popular development environments.
- New features are actively developed based on community input.
- Pengwin comes with excellent end-user support via our GitHub page.
Published byWhitewater Foundry
CopyrightCopyright Whitewater Foundry, Ltd. Co.
Developed byWhitewater Foundry, Ltd. Co.
InstallationGet this app while signed in to your Microsoft account and install on up to ten Windows 10 devices.
This product needs to be installed on your internal hard drive.
Language supportedEnglish (United States)
Terms of transaction
Pengwin license terms
Pengwin is open source, licensed under the MIT license, and contains other assets licensed under other licenses: https://github.com/WhitewaterFoundry/Pengwin/blob/master/LICENSE.md The complete source code and building instructions for Pengwin can be found at: https://github.com/WhitewaterFoundry/Pengwin/