Machine Learning for Cancer Immunotherapy Microsoft Research is contributing our Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning expertise towards important research questions at the intersection of cancer and the immune system. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States. Many of us have a friend or loved one who has battled cancer, motivating us to contribute our research talents to improve cancer treatment. At the same time, drug advancements that work to harness the…
Microsoft Research New England’s Biomedical ML Group thrives at the intersection of machine learning and biology and healthcare. Our interests include ML techniques in healthcare, generative models of proteins and chemical reactions, computational immunology, ML for protein engineering, and understanding how nonlinear interactions between genetic features contribute to causing disease.
Please navigate the tabs to learn more about us, our work, and how to become part of it!
Core Research Team & Representative Papers
Work with us!
Contract Research Assistant Position
MSR-NE Research Assistant Program
The research assistant program at Microsoft Research New England is designed for recent college graduates wishing to gain research experience before pursuing a Ph.D. in economics, computational biology, or social science studies of technology. The program typically features a 1-2 year contract position working with Microsoft researchers at our labs in Cambridge, MA or New York City. Prior RAs have gone on to PhD studies at Berkeley, Harvard, MIT, Northwestern, Stanford GSB, University of Chicago, and Yale. Many of our research assistants have taken classes at Harvard or MIT to augment their preparation for graduate school.
Are you a recent college graduate looking to increase your expertise in machine learning for biology or healthcare (including informatics and imaging) research before pursuing a Ph.D.? Do you consider yourself a self-starter who is motivated to expand your knowledge and experience in python and machine learning? If so, you may be the person we’re looking for to fill our contract research assistant position.
The successful candidate will have the following required skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency in Python programming—in particular, scientific computing using tools such as numpy/scipy/scikit-learn/pandas
- Basic expertise in machine learning, such as would be acquired through undergraduate courses
- Demonstrated ability to structure and motivate your learning and workload under the mentorship of a diverse group of researchers and data scientists
- Experience working with data
Additional preferred skills (desired but not required) include at least some of:
- Basic expertise in biology or bioinformatics, such as would be acquired through undergraduate courses
- Experience working with large datasets
The candidate will work under the supervision of Nicolo Fusi, Lorin Crawford, Kevin Yang, and Rahul Krishnan located in our New England lab in Cambridge, MA. This is a 12-month contract position starting Summer 2021.
Send the following application materials to MSR-BiomedML-RA@microsoft.com
- A research statement (fewer than 500 words) that includes:
- A description of your past research experiences and future research interests
- The names of two or three references, their contact information, and their relationship to you. At least one reference must be someone who has supervised your work.
- A current CV or resume.
By submitting your application materials to MSR-BiomedML-RA@microsoft.com you agree to the Microsoft Data Privacy Notice (https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/data-privacy-notice).
We are not able to offer employment-based visa sponsorship for this position.