Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA), Microsoft’s fundamental research arm in the Asia Pacific region and the company’s largest research institute outside the United States, was founded in 1998 in Beijing. Through collaboration with the best talents from Asia and across the globe, MSRA has grown into a world-class research lab, conducting both basic and applied research. In Sep. 2018, Microsoft announced the establishment of Microsoft Research Asia-Shanghai.
Today, MSRA has more than 200 scientists and more than 300 visiting scholars and students. Technologies from MSRA have had a large influence within Microsoft and around the world, and new technologies are constantly born from MSRA. MSRA has achieved breakthrough results in many areas of basic and applied computer research, and research results transferred into Microsoft’s products.Based on a deployment-driven research philosophy, MSRA has, in recent years, incubated many popular applications and technology projects based on its own technology accumulation and research innovation.
While advancing technology innovation, MSRA is also acting a role as a platform for talent development and cultivation, continuing to cultivate the world’s top computer research talents. Currently, MSRA “alumni” are spread out across the world, actively engaging at the forefront of scientific innovation. They have become the backbone of innovation and development in today’s academic and industry circles.
MSRA has excelled at creating a talent-fostering environment, where researchers are free to explore and pursue what interests them. This culture not only drives researchers to develop groundbreaking technologies and work at the cutting edge, but has also made the lab a natural partner for universities and governments. MSRA is committed to seeking broad and deep engagement with academic communities and industry partners in order to promote collaboration, cultivate innovation, advance education, and turn ideas into reality.
Visit our Chinese website
- The Present and Future of Data Intelligence February 21, 2019
- The Next 10 Years Look Golden for Natural Language Processing Research December 13, 2018
- A Vision for the Future of Systems December 12, 2018
- MSRA Collaborative Research 2019 Grant Awards Announcement December 3, 2018
- Machine Learning: Research hotspots in the next ten years November 14, 2018
- Growing a generation of computer scientists – Microsoft Research Asia at 20 and going beyond technical achievement November 6, 2018
- AI for Good November 5, 2018
- Personalized Recommendation Systems: Five Hot Research Topics You Must Know November 2, 2018
- Image Recognition: Current Challenges and Emerging Opportunities November 1, 2018
- Microsoft’s innovation powerhouse in Asia is fueled by science and research November 1, 2018 | Microsoft Asia News Center
- Coming soon: Your own personal AI-driven ‘co-pilot’ to help you at work and in life November 1, 2018 | Microsoft Asia News Center
- MSRA Collaborative Research 2019 Call For Proposals July 16, 2018
- Netizen-style commenting for fashion photos: autonomous, diverse, and cognitive June 5, 2018
- MSRA and OOCL embrace AI in digital transformation April 25, 2018
- Innovation Center for China-U.S. Youth Exchange Launched: Microsoft Honored to Be Cooperator April 6, 2018
- Ada workshop: a practice to improve gender diversity in CS industry March 28, 2018
- Microsoft Artificial Intelligence Research Symposium March 21, 2018
- Microsoft reaches a historic milestone, using AI to match human performance in translating news from Chinese to English March 14, 2018 | AI Blog
- RAVEN: Reducing Power Consumption of Mobile Games without Compromising User Experience February 20, 2018 | MSR Blog
- Pearson and Microsoft Research Asia Partner to Empower Personalized Learning with AI technologies February 6, 2018
- Microsoft creates AI that can read a document and answer questions about it as well as a person January 15, 2018 | AI Blog
- How to Make a First Accomplishment in the NLP Field December 4, 2017
- ACM TOMM 2017 Best Paper: Let AI take care of the complicated and professional work of graphic layout design for you December 4, 2017
- Microsoft’s AI-powered app can help you learn Chinese November 26, 2017
- MSRA Collaborative Research 2018 Grant Awards Announcement November 24, 2017
- Hsiao-Wuen Hon Granted the Great Wall Friendship Award November 19, 2017
- AI wave rolls through Microsoft’s language translation technologies November 14, 2017 | AI Blog
- Computing in the 21st Century: Academic collaboration fosters the art of artificial intelligence November 9, 2017
- Matching points between objects of different shapes and styles October 25, 2017
- 2017 Beauty of Programming contest winners take big AI steps October 24, 2017 | MSR Blog
- Microsoft Research Asia PhD Forum 2017 fuels young talents October 11, 2017
- Program that repairs programs: how to achieve 78.3 percent precision in automated program repair August 4, 2017 | MSR Blog
- AI with creative eyes amplifies the artistic sense of everyone July 27, 2017 | MSR Blog
- Path Guide: A New Approach to Indoor Navigation July 14, 2017 | MSR Blog
- MSRA Collaborative Research 2018 Call for Proposals July 11, 2017
- Researchers develop new visual intelligence techniques to boost smart home security June 16, 2017 | MSR Blog
- Updates about Microsoft Academic and its role in scientific research in Asia May 10, 2017
- Collaboration between MSRA and Yonsei University generates computer vision breakthrough May 10, 2017
- 2017 Microsoft Research Asia collaborative research projects announced May 4, 2017
- Microsoft is teaching systems to read, answer and even ask questions May 4, 2017 | AI Blog
- Partnership yields key breakthroughs in VR’s “grand challenge” February 6, 2017 | MSR Blog
- Project PrivTree: Blurring your “where” for location privacy January 20, 2017 | MSR Blog
- Top PhD students gather at Microsoft Research Asia PhD Forum 2016 November 29, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Events in Seoul foster artificial intelligence discussion and collaboration November 11, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Microsoft researchers release graph that helps machines conceptualize November 1, 2016 | AI Blog
- Bots generate video titles and tags to bring AI researchers one step closer to visual intelligence October 10, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Boosting fitness and workplace performance looks to machine learning for answers September 16, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Nanotechnology comes to life with needle-based human interface devices August 24, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Long-term collaboration takes aim at mobile browsing August 11, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Our open source commitment: The proof is in the projects July 27, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Researchers team up with Chinese botanists on machine learning, flower-recognition project July 25, 2016 | MSR Blog
- Contest finalists use Microsoft Azure to discover the beauty of programming June 30, 2016 | MSR Blog
Managing Director: Dr. Hsiao-Wuen Hon
Dr. Hsiao-Wuen Hon is corporate vice president of Microsoft, chairman of Microsoft’s Asia-Pacific R&D Group, and managing director of Microsoft Research Asia. He drives Microsoft’s strategy for research and development activities in the Asia-Pacific region, as well as collaborations with academia.
Assistant Managing Director: Dr. Baining Guo
Dr. Baining Guo is assistant managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, where he also serves as the head of the graphics lab. Prior to joining Microsoft in 1999, Dr. Guo was a senior staff researcher with the Microcomputer Research Labs of Intel Corporation in Santa Clara, California. Dr. Guo received Ph.D. and M.S. from Cornell University and B.S. from Beijing University.
Assistant Managing Director: Dr. Tie-Yan Liu
Dr. Tie-Yan Liu is an assistant managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, leading the machine learning research area. His research interests include artificial intelligence, machine learning, information retrieval, data mining, and computational economics/finance.
Assistant Managing Director: Dr. Dongmei Zhang
Dr. Dongmei Zhang is assistant managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, where she also leads the Software Analytics group and Knowledge Computing group. Her research interests include data-driven software analysis, machine learning, information visualization and large-scale computing platform.
Assistant Managing Director: Dr. Lidong Zhou
Dr. Lidong Zhou is assistant managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, where he also heads the joint center on AI systems with Microsoft Search Technology Center Asia. His research interests are in distributed systems, storage systems, operating systems, system security, and wireless communications.
Assistant Managing Director: Dr. Ming Zhou
Dr. Ming Zhou is assistant managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, where he also leads the Natural Language Computing Group at Microsoft Research Asia. He is the chair of the Chinese Computer Federation’s (CCF) Chinese Information Technology Committee and an executive member of the Chinese Information Processing Society.
Senior Director of Technology Strategy and Communications: Dr. Eric Chang
Dr. Eric Chang is currently the senior director of Technology Strategy and Communications of MSR Asia, where his responsibilities include communications, IP portfolio management, and driving new research themes such as eHealth and urban informatics.
Director of Innovation Engineering Group: Dr. Jonathan Tien
Dr. Jonathan Tien is currently the director of Engineering for Microsoft Research Asia, where his responsibilities include how to move research results into real products rapidly, realize return on research investments.
Outreach Director of Microsoft Research Asia: Dr. Tim Pan
Dr. Tim Pan is outreach director of Microsoft Research Asia, responsible for the lab’s academic collaboration in the Asia-Pacific region. He establishes strategies and directions, identifies business opportunities, and designs various programs and projects that strengthen partnership between Microsoft Research and academia.
Opening Intern Positions
- Data, Knowledge, Intelligence Research Intern
- System Research Group Research Intern
- Networking Research Group Research Intern
- Innovation Engineering Group Research Intern – AI for finance framework
- Internet Graphics Group Development Intern
- Internet Graphics Group Research Intern
- Network Research Group Research Intern
- Innovation Engineering Group Content Editor Intern
- ARD Incubation Team Software Development Intern
- MSRA PR Team Digital Marketing Intern
- Speech Group Research Intern
- Technology and Strategy Group Research Intern
- Big Data Mining Group Research Intern
- Innovation Engineering Group Software Development Intern
- Visual Computing Group Research Intern
- Natural Language Computing Group Research Intern
- Internet Media Group Research Intern
- Social Computing Group Research Intern
- Machine Learning Group Research Intern
- Speech Group Research Intern
- Public Relations Group Design Intern
Address: Tower 2, No. 5 Danling Street, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R. China 100080
Tel: (86-10) 5917-8888
Fax: (86-10) 8809-7305
The easiest way to get to our office is to take a taxi, and to show the following map to the driver.
Aloft Beijing, Haidian
Tower 2, Yuanda Rd, Beijing, China 100097
Ariva Beijing West Hotel and Serviced Apartment
36 Haidian Road South, Haidian District, Beijing, China 100080
Crowne Plaza Hotel Zhongguancun Beijing
106 Zhichun Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China 100086
Shangri-la Hotel Beijing
29 Zizhuyuan Road, Beijing, China 100089
For all media enquiries please contact: