I am an applied scientist at Microsoft Research Cambridge, in the Machine learning and perception group. I’m employed by Microsoft search engine Bing. I’m also an honorary lecturer in School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow.
My research is mainly focused on information retrieval and web search problems. I am interested in auto-completion, spoken queries, time-sensitive search, and personalization. I also have done some previous work on distributed information retrieval and metasearch, and have co-authored a short book with Luo Si on that topic.
Before Joining Microsoft, I did my PhD at RMIT university, under the supervision of Justin Zobel. The title of my PhD thesis was “Federated text retrieval from independent collections“.
Workshops, Tutorials & Selected Talks
- SIGIR2015 Workshop with Klaus Berberich, James Caverlee, Miles Efron, Claudia Hauff, and Vanessa Murdock, Temporal, Social and Spatially-aware Information Access (#TAIA2015).
- SIGIR2014 Workshop with Fernando Diaz, Maarten de Rijke, Claudia Hauff and Vanessa Murdock, Temporal, Social and Spatially-aware Information Access (#TAIA2014).
- Recipes for PhD, a set of tips for PhD students, particularly those that work on computer science and information retrieval.
- SIGIR2013 Workshop with Fernando Diaz, Maarten de Rijke, Susan Dumais, Miles Efron and Kira Radinsky, Time-aware Information Access (#TAIA2013).
- WSDM2013 Tutorial with Fernando Diaz, Susan Dumais, Kira Radinsky, Anlei Dong and Yi Chang, Temporal Dynamics and Its Application to Information Retrieval.
- SIGIR2012 Workshop with Fernando Diaz, Maarten de Rijke, Susan Dumais and Kira Radinsky, Time-aware Information Access (#TAIA2012).
- WWW2012 Tutorial with Fernando Diaz and Jaime Arguello, Integrating and Ranking Aggregated Content on the Web.
- SIGIR2010 Tuorial, with Fernando Diaz and Mounia Lalmas, From Federated to Aggregated Search.
Tools and Data
If you have tools and datasets related to time-aware information access and retrieval, and you are willing to share them please contact me.