I am interested in security, privacy, cryptography, programming, and distributed systems. My main project these days is Everest, aiming at building, verifying, and deploying secure components such as miTLS for the HTTPS ecosystem. I lead the Constructive Security team at Microsoft Research in Cambridge, UK. Since 2006, I also lead a project on Secure Distributed Computations at the MSR-INRIA Joint Center, in collaboration with the Prosecco team at INRIA Paris.
I joined Microsoft Research in 1998. Before that, I graduated from Ecole Polytechnique in 1992, worked for a year on deductive databases at BULL, obtained a second engineering degree from Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées in 1995, then did a PhD in computer science at INRIA Rocquencourt. In my PhD, I applied some concurrency theory to model distributed programming: I proposed a variant of the pi calculus as the core of a distributed programming language. I used this calculus to model the behavior of programs and implementations, in particular agent-based mobility, partial failure, and security. I also wrote the distributed runtime for a prototype implementation of the language.
Events (future, recent, then not so recent)
- 17th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2010), Chicago, 4-8 October 2010.
- 15th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2010), Athens, 20-22 September 2010.
- 8th International Workshop on Security Issues in Concurrency (SecCo 2010), 30 August 2010.
- 6th Workshop on Formal and Computational Cryptography (FCC 2010), Edinburgh, 20 July 2010.
- 6th International Verification Workshop (VERIFY 2010), Edinburgh, 20-21 July 2010.
- Workshop on Foundations of Security and Privacy (FCS-PrivMod), 14-15 July 2010.
- International Workshop on Relations and Data Integrity Constraints and Languages (RADICAL 2010), Cambridge, May 2010.
- 26th Conference on the Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics (MFPS XXVI), Ottawa, May 2010.
- 2nd Spring School and Workshop on Computational and Symbolic Proofs of Security (COSYPROOFS), Barbizon, 12-16 April 2010.
- 37th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2010), Madrid, January 2010.
- Penser, modéliser et maîtriser le calcul informatique, G. Berry, College de France, 2009-2010.
- 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2009), Chicago, October 2009.
- 14th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2009), Saint-Malo, 21-25 September 2009.
- 20th International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR 2009), Bologna, 1-4 September 2009.
- 20th ACM SIGPLAN ML Workshop (ML 2009), Edinburgh, 30 August 2009.
- 5th Workshop on Formal and Computational Cryptography (FCC 2009), Post Jefferson, 11-12 July 2009.
- 3rd International Workshop on Analysis of Security APIs (ASA 2009), Post Jefferson, 10-11 July 2009.
- 22nd IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2009), Port Jefferson, 8-10 July 2009.
- Computational and Symbolic Proofs of Security spring school and workshop, Izu, 6-9 April 2009.
- Web Application Security seminar, Dagstuhl, April 2009.
- 12th International Conference on Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures (FOSSACS 2009), York, March 2009.
- MSR-INRIA Forum, Recent Research at the Joint Centre, January 2009.
- 15th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2008), Alexandria, October 2008.
- 6th ACM Workshop on Formal Methods in Security Engineering (FMSE 2008), 27 October 2008.
- 13th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2008), Malaga, 6-8 October 2008.
- 4th Workshop on Formal and Computational Cryptography (FCC 2008), CMU, June 2008.
- 21st IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2008), CMU, June 2008.
- 17th European Symposium on Programming (ESOP 2008), Budapest, April 2008.
- ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS 2008), Tokyo, March 2008.
- 35th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2008), San Francisco, January 2008.
- Third Symposium on Trustworthy Global Computing (TGC 2007). Sophia-Antipolis, 5-6 November 2007.
- 12th Nordic Workshop on Secure IT Systems (NordSec’07), Reykjavik, 11-12 October 2007.
- 34th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP 2007), Wroclaw, 9-13 July 2007.
- 20th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2007), Venice, 6-8 July 2007.
- 3rd Workshop on Formal and Computational Cryptography (FCC’2007), Venice, 5 July 2007.
- Second PARSEC meeting, Orsay, June 2007.
- École jeunes chercheurs en programmation (EJCP 2007), Dinard, June 2007.
- Alejandro Russo’s licentiate seminar, Chalmers, Gothenburg, May 2007.
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Oakland, May 20-23, 2007.
- Formal Protocol Verification Applied seminar, Dagstuhl, October 2007.
- Mobility, Ubiquity and Security seminar, Dagstuhl, February 2007.
- Formal opening of the Microsoft Research INRIA Joint Center, 11 January 2007.
- ANR program Sécurité et Sûreté Informatique (SESUR), 2007.
- Fourth ASIAN Symposium on Programming Languages and Systems (APLAS 2006), Sydney, 8-10 November 2006.
- 13th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2006), Alexandria, October 2006.
- 3rd International Workshop on Web Services and Formal Methods (WS-FM 2006), 8-9 September 2006.
- 21st IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS 2006), August 12th-15th, 2006, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- 33rd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming(ICALP 2006). July 9-16, 2006.
- Second workshop on Formal and Computational Cryptography (FCC 2006), July 9. 2006.
- 19th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Workshop (CSFW19), July 5-7, 2006
- École jeunes chercheurs en programmation (EJCP 2006), Toulouse, June 2006.
- 5th Conference on Security and Network Architectures (SAR 2006), June 6-9. 2006
- INRIA-MSR joint lab security seminar, June 2nd 2006.
- ANR SETIN programme: “Sécurité et Informatique”, 2006.
- FormaCrypt project meeting, March 2006.
- Microsoft Research 3rd Security Workshop, Hamburg, March 15-16. 2006.
- 20th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing: track on Computer Security, April 2006.
- Logic and Algorithms programme at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences. 16 January – 7 July 2006.
- 2005 ACM Workshop on Secure Web Services (SWS 2005), November 11. 2005
- 12th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2005), Alexandria, USA. November 2005.
- 10th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming(ICFP 2005), Tallin, September 2005.
- 16th International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR 2005), San Francisco, August 2005.
- Algebraic Process Calculi: The First Twenty Five Years and Beyond , August 2005.
- Workshop on Formal Aspects in Security and Trust (FAST 2005) and International Workshop on Web Languages and Formal Methods (WLFM 2005), affiliated with FM’05, Newcastle, July 2005.
- Workshop on the link between Formal and Computational Models of Cryptographic protocols, June 23-24 2005.
- 18th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Workshop (CSFW18), Aix-en-Provence, France, June 2005.
- École jeunes chercheurs en programmation (EJCP 2005), Dinard, June 2005.
- ANR araSSIA programme: “Sécurité des systèmes embarqué et Intelligence Ambiante”, 2005.
- DIMACS workshop on Security of Web Services and E-Commerce May 5-6. 2005.
- European Joint Conference on Theory and Practice of Software (ETAPS 2005), including European Symposium on Programming (ESOP 2005), Edinburgh, April 2-10, 2005.
- 2nd International Workshop on Construction and Analysis of Safe, Secure and Interoperable Smart devices (CASSIS’05), Nice, March 7-11, 2005
- 20th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing: track on Computer Security, March 2005.
- CIMPA-UNESCO-INDIA School on Security of Computer Systems and Networks, Bangalore, January 2005.
- 12th International Workshop on Foundations of Object-Oriented Languages , January 2005.
- 2004 ACM Workshop on Secure Web Services (SWS 2004), Fairfax, USA. October 29, 2004
- 11th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2004), Washington DC. October 2004.
- Ninth International Workshop on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems (FMICS 04), Linz, September 2004.
- IFIP WG 2.2 meeting, Bertinoro, September 2004.
- 3rd EATCS Workshop on the Foundations of Global Ubiquitous Computing, London, September 2004.