Keynote Presentations & Invited Talks
My main research area is Human Computer Interaction with a focus on Computer Supported Collaboration. I am interesting in exploring ways to support collaboration across a variety of domains including home, work, education, healthcare and fun. Currently my research is focused on video communication for telepresence.
I currently manage the neXus group at Microsoft Research. The Nexus group combines research in Social Computing, Computer Supported Collaborative Work, and Information Visualization to support rich collaboration across a variety of dimensions, including individual and community interactions, co-located and distributed collaboration; ambient and interactive visualization; and awareness displays. Prior to joining Microsoft Research I was a Professor of Computer Science at Dalhousie University (2001 – 2007) and Simon Fraser University (1998-2001). I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of British Columbia in 1997.
- Wearing for Sharing: Enabling Next Gen Shared Experiences. Invited Talk at the First International Workshop on Wearable and Ego-Vision Systems for Augmented Experience WEsAX. July 3, 2015, Turin, Italy.
- Video Communication for the 21st Century. Keynote at the 2015 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS 2015). June 1-5, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Imposter Syndrome. Keynote at the SFU Imposter Syndrome Workshop. May 15, 2015, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
- Remote Shared Experiences: Changing the Way We Communicate with Video. Invited Talk at the University of Toronto, KMDI Speaker Series. January 21, 2015, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Connecting Kids: The Future of Video. Keynote at the 10th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL 2013). June 17, 2013, University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI, USA.
- Many Computers, Many People, and Everything in between: Supporting Shared Computing. Keynote at The 13th International Conference on CSCW in Design (CSCW2009). April 22-24, 2009, Santiago, Chile.
- Enhancing Face-to-Face Interactions with Multi-User Computing. Invited talk at Washington University in St. Louis, Computer Science & Engineering Colloquium. February 8, 2008, St. Louis, MO, USA.
Conference & Program Chair
- Organisational Overviews Co-Chair, INTERACT 2015, Bamberg, Germany.
- Technical Program Co-Chair, ACM CHI 2015, Seoul, Korea.
- Program Co-Chair, ACM Group 2012, Sanibel Island, FL
- Conference Co-Chair, ACM CSCW 2010, Savannah, GA
- Student Research Competition Co-Chair, ACM CHI 2008, Florence, Italy
- Conference Co-Chair, ACM Group 2007, Sanibel Island, FL
- Student Research Competition Co-Chair, ACM CHI 2007, San Jose, CA
- Program Co-Chair, Notes, ACM CSCW 2006, Banff, AB
- Program Co-Chair, Graphics Interface 2005, Victoria, BC
- Short Talks Co-Chair, ACM CHI 2001, Seattle, WA
- Student Posters Co-Chair, ACM CHI 1999, Pittsburgh, PA
Conference Program Committees
- Program Committee, ACM CHI 2012, Austin, TX
- Program Committee, ECSCW 2011, Aarhus, Denmark
- Program Committee, ACM CHI 2011, Vancouver, BC
- Program Committee, ACM CSCW 2011, Hangzhou, China
- Program Committee, ECSCW 2009, Vienna, Austria
- Program Committee, UIST 2009, Victoria, BC
- Program Committee, Group 2009, Sanibel Island, FL
- Program Committee, IDC 2009, Como, Italy
- Doctoral Symposium Panel, ACM UIST 2008, Monterey, CA
- Program Committee, ACM CSCW 2008, San Diego, CA
- Program Committee Member, ACM CHI 2007, San Jose, CA
- Program Committee Member, ACM UIST 2006, Montreau, France
- Program Committee Member, ACM CHI 2006, Montreal, QC
- Doctoral Consortium Committee, ACM CHI 2006, Montreal, QC
- Student Design Competition Committee, ACM CHI 2006, Montreal, QC