I am a member of the Machine Learning and Optimization and the Algorithms and Data Sciences Group at Microsoft Research, Bangalore, India. My research interests are in machine learning, large-scale (non-convex optimization), and statistical learning theory. I am also interested in applications of machine learning to privacy, computer vision, text mining and natural language processing. I completed my PhD at the University of Texas at Austin under Prof. Inderjit S. Dhillon.
I am also an adjunct faculty member at IIT Kanpur.
- Program Co-Chair, IKDD Conference on Data Sciences (CoDS), 2016.
- Organizer, Machine Learning Summer School, Microsoft Research, 2015.
- Organizer, Mysore Park Workshop on Machine Learning, Mysore, India, 2012.
- Program Committee/Area Chair
- COLT 2015, 2016
- NIPS 2012, 2013, 2016
Over the years, I have been very lucky to have worked with some amazing postdocs/interns/research fellows.
- Purushottam Kar, 2013-2015 (Asst. Prof., IIT Kanpur)
- Nagarajan Natarajan, 2015- (Postdoc, MSR India)
- Elena-Madalina Persu, Summer’2015. (Phd Student, MIT)
- Gautam Kamath, Summer’2015. (Phd Student, MIT)
- Harikrishna Narasimhan, Summer’2014. (Postdoc, Harvard University)
- Praneeth Netrapalli, Summer’2012, 2014. (Postdoc, Microsoft Research New England)
- Srinadh Bhojanapalli, Summer’2013, 2014. (Assistant Professor, TTI Chicago)
- Pravesh Kothari, Summer’2014. (Phd Student, UT Austin)
- Purushottam Kar, Summer’2012. (Assistant Professor, IIT Kanpur)
- Sivakanth Gopi, Summer’2012. (Phd Student, Princeton University)
- Ankan Saha, Summer’2011. (Software Engineer, LinkedIn)
- Saurabh Gupta, Summer’2011. (Phd Student, UC Berkeley)
- Kush Bhatia, 2014-2016. (PhD Student, UC Berkeley)
- Yeshwanth Cherapanamjeri, 2015-. (RF, MSR India)
- Raajay Viswanathan, 2011-2013. (PhD Student, UWisc Madison)
Non-convex Optimization for High-Dimensional Statistics
Matrix Completion and Low-rank Matrix Recovery
- Learning with Non-decomposable Loss Functions
- Differential Privacy for Machine Learning
- Distance Metric Learning