I am a principal researcher at Microsoft Research. My interests are broadly in building and analyzing networked systems. Of late, I have worked on big-data platforms and datacenter networks. I completed my PhD in Computer Science from MIT in 2008.
07/18: Network + job-aware scheduling of cache tiers for data-parallel systems, NetCo, at SoCC. Best paper award.
Current project: Lazy approximations
I’ve worked with some amazing interns at MSR.
- Sameer Agarwal (Berkeley)
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan (Berkeley)
- Spandana Babbula (IIT Madras)
- Ivan Bliznets (Steklov Inst.)
- Mosharaf Chowdhury (Berkeley)
- Ayush Dubey (Cornell)
- Hossein Falaki (UCLA)
- Jonas Fietz (EPFL)
- Robert Grandl (Wisconsin-Madison)
- Dan Halperin (Washington)
- Xi He (Duke)
- Chi-Yao Hong (UIUC)
- Anand Iyer (Berkeley)
- Virajith Jalaparti (UIUC)
- Xin Jin (Princeton)
- Gautam Kumar (Berkeley)
- Ang Li (Duke)
- Hyeontaek Lim (CMU)
- Hongqiang Liu (Yale)
- Zhicheng Liu (GaTech)
- Yao Lu (UW)
- Hongzi Mao (MIT)
- Matthaios Olma (EPFL)
- Laurel Orr (Washington)
- Ashish Patro (Wisconsin-Madison)
- Jonathan Perry (MIT)
- Qifan Pu (Berkeley)
- Anil Shanbhag (MIT/ IIT Bombay)
- Alan Shieh (Cornell)
- Aleksandar Vitorovic (EPFL)
- Quickr‘s samplers and QO pushdown rules for samplers ship with ADLA.
- SWAN‘s traffic engineering + approx fairness logic manages traffic on Microsoft’s inter datacenter WAN.
- RoPE‘s reoptimization logic ships for SCOPE jobs on Cosmos servers since December 2011.
- Mantri‘s outlier mitigation logic ships in all Cosmos servers since May 2010. Cosmos is Microsoft’s internal big data service with over 10K machines.
- Flare: Splitting flowlets over multiple paths. Per Conga, implemented and shipped by Cisco Insieme. Also ships with Windows Server 2012 R2; the details are here.
- wcAsync: An asynchronous web traffic generator
- ospfOpt: Finding optimal weights for OSPF traffic engineering
- Broom: Unbiasing Internet path measurements