I am a principal researcher with the systems and networking group at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. My research interests span most aspects of computer communications and networks with my current focus being on data centers. In the past, I worked on Internet measurements and monitoring, traffic classification, network management, home networks, social networks, and peer-to-peer networks.
I received my Ph.D from the Computer Science department of the University of California, Riverside, and completed my undergraduate studies at the department of Applied Informatics of the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Christos Gkantsidis, Matthew P. Grosvenor, Thomas Karagiannis, Lazaros Koromilas, and Greg O’Shea, Enabling End Host Network Functions, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2015
- Sebastian Angel, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, Greg O’Shea, and Eno Thereska, End-to-end Performance Isolation through Virtual Datacenters, in USENIX OSDI, October 2014
- Fahad R Dogar, Thomas Karagiannis, Hitesh Ballani, and Ant Rowstron, Decentralized Task-aware Scheduling for Data Center Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2014
- Eno Thereska, Hitesh Ballani, Greg O’Shea, Thomas Karagiannis, Ant Rowstron, Tom Talpey, Richard Black, and Timothy Zhu, IOFlow: A Software-Defined Storage Architecture, in ACM SOSP, November 2013
- Thanasis Petsas, Antonis Papadogiannakis, Michalis Polychronakis, Evangelos P. Markatos, and Thomas Karagiannis, Rise of the Planet of the Apps: A Systematic Study of the Mobile App Ecosystem, Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), October 2013
- Hitesh Ballani, Keon Jang, Thomas Karagiannis, Changhoon Kim, Dinan Gunawardena, and Greg O’Shea, Chatty tenants and the cloud network sharing problem, in USENIX NSDI, April 2013
- Virajith Jalaparti, Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Bridging the Tenant-Provider Gap in Cloud Services , ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing, October 2012
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, The Price Is Right: Towards Location-Independent Costs in Datacenters, ACM HotNets, November 2011
- Dinan Gunawardena, Thomas Karagiannis, Alexandre Proutiere, Elizeu Santos-Neto, and Milan Vojnovic, Scoop: Decentralized and Opportunistic Multicasting of Information Streams, in ACM Mobicom, September 2011
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Towards Predictable Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011
- Christopher Wilson, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Better Never than Late: Meeting Deadlines in Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011 (SIGCOMM honorable mention award)
- Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, Richard Harper, Tim Regan, Abigail Sellen, Christos Gkantsidis, Thomas Karagiannis, and Peter Key, Who’s Hogging the Bandwidth?: The Consequences Of Revealing The Invisible In the Home, in ACM CHI 2010, April 2010.
- Thomas Karagiannis, Richard Mortier, and Antony I. T. Rowstron, Network exception handlers: Host-network control in enterprise networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, 2008
- Thomas Karagiannis, Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Milan Vojnovic, Power-Law and Exponential Decay of Inter-Contact Times Between Mobile Devices, in ACM Mobicom, 2007
- C. Gkantsidis, T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and M. Vojnovic, Planet Scale Software Updates, in ACM SIGCOMM, Sep. 2006
- T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and D. Papagiannaki, Should Internet Service Providers Fear Peer-Assisted Content Distribution?, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct. 2005
- Thomas Karagiannis, Konstantina Papagiannaki, and Michalis Faloutsos, BLINC: multilevel traffic classification in the dark, in ACM SIGCOMM, Aug. 2005
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Michalis Faloutsos, and Kimberly C. Claffy, Transport layer identification of P2P traffic, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct. 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Nevil Brownlee, Kimberly C. Claffy, and Michalis Faloutsos, Is P2P dying or just hiding?, in IEEE Globecom 2004 – Global Internet and Next Generation Networks, 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Mart Molle, Michalis Faloutsos, and Andre Broido, A Nonstationary Poisson View of Internet Traffic, in IEEE INFOCOM, 2004