Vani Mandava is a Principal Program Manager with Microsoft Research at Redmond with over a decade of experience designing and shipping software projects and features that are in use by millions of users across the world. Her role in the Microsoft Research Outreach team as Director of the Data Science for Research effort, is to enable academic researchers and institutions develop technologies that fuel data-intensive scientific research using advanced techniques in data management, data mining, especially leveraging Microsoft Cloud platform through the Azure for Research program.
She has enabled the adoption of data mining best practices in various v1 products across Microsoft client, server and services in MS-Office, Sharepoint and Online Services (Bing Ads) organizations. She co-authored a book ‘Developing Solutions with Infopath’.
She leads Microsoft Research Outreach efforts at Data Science Institutions in US universities, and with National Science Foundation through engagement on specific programs. She co-chaired KDD Cup 2013 and partners with many academic and government agencies including NSF supported Big Data Innovation hub effort, a consortia coordinated by top US data scientists and expected to advance data-driven innovation nationally in the US.
- 20110239057 Centralized service outage communication (Mohan Thimmappa, Vani Mandava)
- 20100082813 – Multiple parallel user experiences provided by a single set of internet hosting machines (Margaret H. Li, Maxim A. Ivanov, Vani Mandava, Vadim V. Varfolomeyev)
Conferences and Talks
- ACM KDD 2017 – Tutorial: Cloud Based Data Mining tools for storage, distributed processing, and machine learning systems for scientific data
- IEEE IC2E 2017 – Scaling Science in the Cloud workshop
- ICDM 2016 – Workshop Chair: Cloudmine – Data Mining Systems and Applications in the Cloud
- ABI Grace Hopper 2016 – Poster Committee
- ACT-W 2015 (Advancing the Careers of Technical Women) Seattle, Accepted Speaker – Data Science in the Cloud
- ACM 2nd IKDD 2015 Conference on Data Sciences – Speaker, Industry Track
- ACM Sigspatial 2015 – Local Arrangements Chair
- ABI Grace Hopper 2014 – Data Science Track Lead, Posters judge
- ACM KDD 2013 – KDD Cup Co-chair
- Creating intelligent water systems to unlock the potential of Smart Cities
- Transportation Data Science at Microsoft
- NSF Big Data Innovation Hubs collaboration — looking back after one year
- A new understanding of the world through grassroots Data Science education at UC Berkeley
- Microsoft continues to support data science research with $3M cloud credits to NSF BIGDATA program
- Microsoft boosts NSF’s Big Data Regional Innovation Hubs with $3M in cloud computing credits
- Mind meld, Microsoft Research style
- Data mining competition takes center stage in Chicago – KDD Cup 2013