Vivek Narasayya is a researcher at Microsoft Researcher with an interest in data systems and their processes.
- Self-tuning database systems, Physical database design
- Performance monitoring, diagnostics and tuning of databases
- Query processing and optimization
- Multi-tenant database systems, performance isolation, efficient resource management in cloud databases
- PC Co-Chair
- VLDB 2012 (Industrial track)SMDB 2011, DBTEST 201
- Editorial Board of VLDB JournalTrack/Area Chair
- CIKM 2014: Query Language, Query Processing, Access Methods and Concurrency Control
- ACM SIGMOD 2003, 2008 (Industrial track), 2012, 2014 (Industrial track)
- VLDB 2006, PVLDB 2008-2010, PVLDB 2015
- IEEE ICDE 2002, 2011 (Industrial Track), 2012
- EDBT 2014 (Demo track)
- ACM SIGKDD 2013
- ACM CIKM 2004, 2012 (Senior PC member), 2013
- Clean DB Workshop 2007
- COMAD 2009, 2011, 2012
- DBTest 2010
- SMDB 2008
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Panelist
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Panelist: Committee on State Voter Registration Databases, 2007.
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE), Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Attendee, 2008.
- Co-organized the UW-MSR 2010 Summer Institute on Cloud Data Services: Challenges and Opportunities
Invited Talks, Tutorials
- Vivek Narasayya. New Frontiers in Business Intelligence. Keynote at Web Age Information Management (WAIM), 2011, China.
- Surajit Chaudhuri, Vivek Narasayya. New Frontiers in Business Intelligence. VLDB 2011, Seattle, USA.
- Vivek Narsayya. SQL Server Query Optimizer, and Reflections on Query Optimization. May 2010, Stanford University.
- Surajit Chaudhuri, Vivek Narasayya. “Self-Tuning Database Systems: A Decade of Progress”. VLDB 2007, Vienna, Austria. Invited Talk for 10-year Best Paper Award.
- Vivek Narasayya. “Recent Advances in Self-Tuning Database Systems”. Keynote talk at International Workshop on Automated Performance Tuning (iWAPT) 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Vivek Narasayya. “Microsoft SQL Server Query Optimizer”. May 2007, Stanford University.
- Vivek Narasayya. “AutoAdmin: Towards Self-Tuning Databases”. Nov 2002, Nov 2003, Stanford University.