Yunxin Liu is currently a Principal Researcher and the research manager of Heterogeneous and Extreme Computing (HEX) group at Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA). He joined MSRA in July 2001 and worked in Wireless and Networking (W&N) group, Mobile and Sensing System (MASS) group, and Intelligent Cloud and Edge (ICE) group, before managing HEX group. He received his Ph.D. in computer science from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2011 (through the SJTU-MSRA joint PhD program), M.S. degree in computer science from Tsinghua University in 2001, and B.S. degrees in mechanical engineering and computer science from University of Science and Technology of China in 1998, respectively.
He has broad research interests on mobile computing and edge computing, including power management, security and privacy, sensing, and intelligent edge/mobile systems. His work has been published in top conferences and journals such as MobiSys, MobiCom, NSDI, CCS, TON, TMC, and TPDS; shipped into MS products such as Visual Studio, XBOX XDK, and Windows Phone; and featured in news media including ABC News, The Register, NetworkWorld, and many others. He served as a TPC member of a set of conferences such as MobiSys, MobiCom, WWW and INFOCOM. He served as a general co-chair of Mobihoc 2020, program co-chair of ACM Open IoT Day 2019, program co-chair of HotEdgeVideo 2019 workshop, and workshop co-chair of MobiSys 2016. He received MobiCom 2015 Best Demo Award, PhoneSense 2011 Best Paper Award, and SenSys 2018 Best Paper Runner-up Award. He is a senior member of the IEEE and a member of the ACM.
- 2019-10, invited to serve as a general co-chair of Mobihoc 2020
- 2019-7, invited to serve as a TPC member of MobiCom 2020
- 2019-7, paper “Occlumency: Privacy-preserving Remote Deep-learning Inference Using SGX” was accepted to MobiCom 2019.
- 2019-5, paper “S2Net: Preserving Privacy in Smart Home Routers” was accepted to IEEE TDSC.
- 2019-3, paper “SeerNet: Predicting Convolutional Neural Network Feature-Map Sparsity through Low-Bit Quantization” was accepted to CVPR 2019.
- [MobiCom-2019] Taegyeong Lee, Zhiqi Lin, Saumay Pushp, Caihua Li, Yunxin Liu, Youngki Lee, Fengyuan Xu, Chenren Xu, Lintao Zhang, and Junehwa Song, “Occlumency: Privacy-preserving Remote Deep-learning Inference Using SGX”, in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2019.
- [MobiCom-2018] Mengwei Xu, Mengze Zhu, Yunxin Liu, Felix Xiaozhu Lin, and Xuanzhe Liu, “DeepCache: Principled Cache for Mobile Deep Vision”, in Proceedings of the 24th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2018.
- [MobiSys-2018] Luyang Liu, Ruiguang Zhong, Wuyang Zhang, Yunxin Liu, Jiansong Zhang, Lintao Zhang, and Marco Gruteser, “Cutting the Cord: Designing a High-quality Untethered VR System with Low Latency Remote Rendering”, in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services, 2018.
- [MobiCom-2017] Chanyou Hwang, Saumay Pushp, Changyoung Koh, Jungpil Yoon, Yunxin Liu, Seungpyo Choi, and Junehwa Song, “RAVEN: Optimizing Power Consumption of Mobile Games Using Perception-Aware Rendering Rate Scaling”, in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2017.
- [MobiCom-2015] Duc Hoang Bui, Yunxin Liu, Hyosu Kim, Insik Shin, Feng Zhao, “Rethinking Energy-Performance Trade-Off in Mobile Web Page Loading”, in Proceedings of the 21st Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2015. (Featured by MSRC Blog, Phys.org, and WinBeta)
- [MobiCom-2015] Songtao He, Yunxin Liu, and Hucheng Zhou, “Optimizing Smartphone Power Consumption through Dynamic Resolution Scaling”, in Proceedings of the 21st Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2015. (Best Demo Award)
- [MobiSys-2013] Fengyuan Xu, Yunxin Liu, Thomas Moscibroda, Ranveer Chandra, Long Jin, Yongguang Zhang, and Qun Li, “Optimizing Background Email Sync on Smartphones”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services, 2013.
- [MobiSys-2013] Robert LiKamWa, Yunxin Liu, Nicholas D. Lane, and Lin Zhong, “Building a Mood Sensor from Smartphone Usage Patterns”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services, 2013. (Featured by ABC News, CACM, The Register, NetworkWorld, PCWorld, ComputerWorld, Mashable, Slashdot, Sina and many others, and was on Jimmy Kimmel’s talk show Youtube, Tudou.)
- [NSDI-2013] Fengyuan Xu, Yunxin Liu, Qun Li, and Yongguang Zhang, “V-edge: Fast Self-Constructive Power Modeling of Smartphones Based on Battery Voltage Dynamics”, in Proceedings of the 10th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, 2013.
- [CCS-2013] Alexander Moshchuk, Helen J. Wang, and Yunxin Liu, “Content-Based Isolation: Rethinking Isolation Policy Design on Client Systems”, in Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security,2013.
- [MobiSys-2012] Hao Han, Yunxin Liu, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, and Qun Li, “DozyAP: Power-Efficient Wi-Fi Tethering”, in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services, 2012.
- [MobiSys-2009] Yunxin Liu, Ahmad Rahmati, Yuanhe Huang, Hyukjae Jang, Lin Zhong, Yongguang Zhang, and Shensheng Zhang, “xShare: Supporting Impromptu Sharing of Mobile Phones,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services, 2009.
15 US patents granted: 9681378, 9559545, 9247495, 9069766, 8386614, 8364816, 8261361, 8180887, 7792924, 7783702, 7630997, 7626931, 7433814, 7339899, 7411908.
Best Paper Runner-up Award, Sensys 2018.
Best Demo Award, MobiCom 2015.
Best Paper Award, PhoneSense Workshop, 2011
Tech Transfer Award (to Visual Studio 2010), 2010
MSRA “Tech Transfer of Year” Award, 2008
Ship-It Award for “Games for Windows LiVE”, 2008
Ship-It Award for “XNA – DirectX SDK and Xbox XDK”, 2008
MSRA “Demo of Year” Award, 2006