Full version of his résumé is available by clicking here.
Zhengyou Zhang is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) (2005, for contributions to robust computer vision techniques) and a Fellow of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) (2013, for contributions to computer vision and multimedia). He is the Founding Editor-in-Chief of the newly established IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development (IEEE T-AMD), and is on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), the Machine Vision and Applications, and the Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST). He was on the Editorial Board of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (IEEE T-PAMI) from 1999 to 2005, the IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (IEEE T-MM) from 2004 to 2009, the International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI) from 1997 to 2008, among others. He is listed in Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
Before joining Microsoft, Zhengyou worked at INRIA (French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control) for 11 years, and was a Senior Research Scientist since 1991, where he worked in the Computer Vision and Robotics group. In 1996-1997, he spent one-year sabbatical as an Invited Researcher at the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR), Kyoto, Japan.
He holds more than 130 US patents and has about 20 patents pending. He also holds a few Japanese patents for his inventions during his sabbatical at ATR.
He has published over 200 papers in refereed international journals and conferences, and is the author of the following books
- 3D Dynamic Scene Analysis: A Stereo Based Approach (with O. Faugeras) (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1992). ISBN 3-540-55429-7 & ISBN 0-387-55429-7. Preview available at here.
- Epipolar Geometry in Stereo, Motion and Object Recognition: A Unified Approach (with G. Xu, forewords by O. Faugeras and S. Tsuji; Telecom Systems Technical Award, The Japan Telecommunications Advancement Foundation) (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996). ISBN 0-7923-4199-6. Preview available at here.
- Computer Vision: Fundamentals of Computational Theory and Algorithms (in Chinese) (with S. Ma) (Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1998; Second edition, 2003). ISBN 7-03-006070-9.
- Face Detection and Adaptation (with C. Zhang) (Morgan and Claypool, 2010). ISBN-10 160845133X. Available from Amazon.
- Face Geometry and Appearance Modeling (with Z. Liu; Foreword by Demetri Terzopoulos) (Cambridge University Press, 2011). Available at Amazon.
He has edited multiple books, including
He is a General Co-Chair of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2017), June 2017, Puerto Rico, USA.
He is a General Co-Chair of the ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI 2015), Nov. 3-9, 2015, Seattle, USA.
He was a General Co-Chair of the International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP 2014), September 22-24, 2014, Jakarta, Indonesia.
He was a General Co-Chair of the International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP 2011), October 17-19, 2011, Hangzhou, China.
He was the Chair of the new Technical Briefs program of the SIGGRAPH Asia, Singapore, November 28 – December 1, 2012.
He was a Program Co-Chair of the International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), July 2010, a Program Co-Chair of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM MM), October 2010, and a Program Co-Chair of the ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interfaces (ICMI), November 2010. He was the Program Co-Chair of the 8th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL09), June 5-7, 2009, Shanghai, China. He was a Technical Co-Chair of the International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP06), October 3-6, 2006, Victoria, BC, Canada. He was the Program Co-Chair of the Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV2004), Jan. 27-30, 2004, Jeju Island, Korea; a Demo Chair and an Area Chair of the International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV2003), Oct. 14-17, 2003, Nice, France; the Demo Chair of the International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV2005), Oct. 15-21, 2005, Beijing, China. He co-organized the International Workshop on Multimedia Technologies in E-Learning and Collaboration, held in Nice, France, on October 17, 2003. He served on the Program Committees of ICCV, CVPR, ECCV, ACCV and many other international conferences and workshops.
He was a co-organizer of the First International Workshop on Human Activity Understanding from 3D Data (HAU3D) 2011, in conjunction with the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Colorado Springs, June 20-25, 2011; a co-organizer of the Second International Workshop on Human Activity Understanding from 3D Data (HAU3D) 2012, in conjunction with the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Providence, Rhode Island, June 16-21, 2012; a co-organizer of the Third International Workshop on Human Activity Understanding from 3D Data (HAU3D) 2013, in conjunction with the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Portland, Oregon, June 25-271, 2013.
Zhengyou Zhang is a member of the IEEE Computer Society Fellows Committee from 2005 to 2007, and in 2010 and 2011, a member of IEEE Technical Committee on Multimedia Signal Processing (2006-2010) and the ex-Chair of IEEE Technical Committee on Autonomous Mental Development (2007-2009).
Interview by the Computational Intelligence Magazine is available here (or go to IEEE Xplore).
Interview by the IEEE Signal Processing Magazine on “Telepresence: Virtual Reality in the Real World” (or go to IEEE Xplore). (November 2011)
Natural User Interfaces: What’s Next?. Video on 3D Photorealistic Talking Head.(Februray 2011)
- Zicheng Liu (Researcher, MSR)
- Mike Sinclair (Principal Researcher, MSR)
- Li-wei He (Research Engineer, MSR)
- Cha Zhang (Researcher, MSR)
- Rajesh Hegde (Research Engineer, MSR)
- Dinei Florencio (Researcher, MSR)
- Qin Cai (Research Engineer, MSR)
- Wei-ge Chen (Software Architect, MSR)
- Phil Chou (Principal Researcher, MSR)
- Ying Shan (Post-Doc, now Scientist at Microsoft Online)
- Gang Hua (Scientist at Nokia Research)
- Ming-Ting Sun (Professor, University of Washington)
- Wanqing Li (Associate Professor, University of Wollongong)
- Chunhui Zhang (Researcher, MSR Asia, now at Alibaba)
- John Hershey (Post-Doc, now at IBM Research)
Interns: Sasa Junuzovic (2008), Matt Luciw (2008), Aswin Sankaranarayanan (2008), Xiaogang Wang (2008), Qing Zhang (2008), Raffay Hamid (2007), Sasa Junuzovic (2007), Miao Liao (2007), Mingxuan Sun (2007), Qi Zhao (2007), Amar Subramanya (2006), Sasa Junuzovic (2006), Ming Liu (2005), Gang Hua (2005), Amar Subramanya (2004), Ya Chang (2004), Yanli Zheng (2003), Hanning Zhou (2003), Guodong Guo (2002), Ruigang Yang (2001), Ying Wu (2000), Ko Nishino (1999, 2000), Qifa ke (1998)
Supervision of researchers when I was at INRIA: Nassir Navab (Ph.D., 1993), Michel Buffa (Ph.D., 1993), Gabriella Csurka (Ph.D., 1996), Bernard Hotz (Research Engineer, 1991-1994), Serge Saracco (Master, 1993), Jean-Francois Ponthieux (Master, 1993), Veit Schenk (Master, 1996), Laurence Lucido (Ph.D., 1997), Sylvain Bougnoux (Ph.D., 1998).