Tech Showcase: Receptionist Assistant Robot – Strategic Prototyping Team

Date

August 2, 2018

Speaker

David Baumert

Overview

We demonstrate a robot to assist (not replace) a human receptionist. Our design philosophy is based on Reddy’s 90 percent AI principle for human and robot cooperation: 90 percent of routine tasks are handled by a robot, with the remaining 10 percent of exceptional tasks are handled by a human. The receptionist is the leader and the robot is a follower; the robot works only under the orders of the leader. Using this principle, we have designed and implemented functionalities for this assistant robot, such as a knowledge engine to augment the receptionist’s ability to answer questions, a situation engine to provide awareness of the receptionist’s needs, and a conversation engine for verbal interaction with the receptionist and customers.

People