Collins English Dictionary and Thesaurus
Collins English Dictionary for Windows 8 is a rich source of words for everyone who loves language. This new edition includes the latest words to enter the English language as well as a wide range of biographical entries. Usage notes give advice on using the right word in the right place, and thousands of etymologies trace the roots of modern English. Application’s unique design helps to make this dictionary accessible making it easy to find any entry. All definitions, examples, idioms, and usage notes are based on the Collins Corpus – the unrivalled and constantly updated 4.5 billion-word database of today’s English - creating an authoritative and up-to-the-minute reference. Features like wildcard-search, browsing by alphabet or by word categories makes the experience unique. Create custom Favorites Folders to group words the way you like. . The extensive database of words with comprehensive word details is combined with amazing Windows 8 features like snap, portrait page views, page pinning and semantic zoom, allowing for quick navigation to specific parts of the application. These native Windows 8 features transform an impressive Collins English Dictionary from a traditional language reference to an immersive digital dictionary experience. Collins Thesaurus and Audio further enhance dictionary data and provide a single source for complete word details. Additional Collins dictionary volumes are available with in-application purchase options and seamlessly integrate into the product providing the full-fidelity word detail experience and other common application features like favorites folders. After initial installation no Internet connection is required to operate the dictionary.More
- Quickly customize layout order of the application functions on the Home Page, prioritizing access to matter to you most.
- Search with word suggestions and wild card features – word suggestions are provided during the freeform search and system supports wildcard like * and ? as substitutes for a single character or parts
- Instantly review all recently searched terms and jump directly to any date in the search history list to find words reviewed earlier.
- “Browse by Letter” to quickly get to words starting with specific letter or letter combinations and variety of grouping options like grouping “alphabetically” or by “parts of speech”.
- Create Favorites Folders with custom names and cover art and store unlimited words in the folders.
- Using Windows 8 zoom to quickly navigate through long word lists within each folder. Using the “Pin” feature create a shortcut directly on your home screen to any folder.
- Customize folders with unique names and images created from pre-installed “skins” categorized by “Textures”, “Nature”, “Animals” and “Places” or use any images on the device or a live photo taken.
- Words are grouped into distinct word categories: Arts, Biographies, Business and Economics, Geographical Entry, Recreation and Sports, Religion and Philosophy, Science and Technology, Social Science
- Word detail provides extensive information like parts of speech, definition, word use examples and related words and much more. Navigate to other words via “Nearby”, word map or related words making
- Additional information on forms, synonyms and antonyms is provided from the integrated Collins Thesaurus.
- The visual “Word Map” streamlines navigation to Synonyms, Antonyms and related words and provides a unique visual view of related dictionary content.
- Adding short notes to any dictionary entry with the “Notes” in the Word Detail is easy and personalizes the dictionary to what is important to you.
- Many words include convenient Collins native speaker audio and other additional audio content.
- True native experience of Windows 8 making it easy to navigate with a mouse or touch screens. Supports and adapts to all screen resolutions screen layouts: landscape, portrait and snap.
- In-app purchased additional Collins titles which seamlessly integrate into the application. Installed titles can be used with common application features like Favorite Folders and Word Detail.