An affable player who has cultivated friendships in tandem with his showbiz career, Damon began acting professionally while attending Harvard University. His first notable role was as an anti-Semitic student in the 1992 teen drama School Ties, costarring his childhood buddy and future collaborator Ben Affleck. After a handful of supporting parts, Damon and Affleck cowrote and costarred in the hit 1997 indie drama Good Will Hunting. Not only did Damon earn an Oscar nod for his winning portrayal of a quiet genius, the duo picked up an Oscar for best screenplay. As both actors' stars continued to rise, they made cameos in each other's projects and also produced the popular filmmaking reality series Project Greenlight. Damon went on to deliver top-notch performances in diverse roles, such as a murderous impostor in The Talented Mr. Ripley, a suave thief in Ocean's Eleven and an amnesia-stricken spy in The Bourne Identity. Once again proving his willingness to physically transform himself for a role (he lost 40 pounds for 1996's Courage Under Fire), Damon packed on the pounds for 2009's The Informant!, in which he played a doughy corporate executive. He also nabbed an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his work in Invictus. On TV, Damon began a recurring gig on 30 Rock, and played opposite Michael Douglas in Behind the Candelabra, earning Emmy nominations for both. Damon then appeared in a series of films set in outer space - Elysium, Interstellar and The Martian, all which were critical and commercial success; his work in The Martian earned him another Oscar nomination. Despite the steady stream of work, Damon still found time for some fun, capitalizing on a long-running joke with Jimmy Kimmel by appearing in a humorous and sexually suggestive music video with Kimmel's on-again-off-again girlfriend Sarah Silverman. Off screen, Damon married interior designer Luciana Barroso. He is also active in a number of charities and is a founding member of the production company LivePlanet.
- Worked as an extra on Field of Dreams (1989) with friend Ben Affleck. During the shoot, he picked a few blades of grass from Boston's Fenway Park as mementos for his father.
- Left Harvard University 12 credits shy of a degree in English to pursue a career in acting.
- Bartended in Tennessee to perfect his Southern accent for a role in The Rainmaker (1997) and hired a customer to be his dialect coach.
- Learned to play the piano for The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999).
- Cofounded the production company LivePlanet with Ben Affleck in 2000.