Code Writer is a free text and code editor app with active syntax highlighting that updates as you edit documents and has over 20 supported file types. A tabbed document interface allows for quickly switching between open documents. The app has been built from the ground up with Windows 8 design principles in mind. It's fast and fluid, and gives you the power to edit documents with features you'd normally only find in desktop apps. Code Writer is perfect for editing any text-based file, doing code reviews, or giving presentations with code samples. The core text editor screen allows you to edit documents in full-screen mode without chrome distractions. Only the scrollbars and line/column display are visible by default. Find/replace and advanced features like tabify lines and convert case are available. Easily create new or open existing documents from any accessible source. Color is used pervasively throughout the app to create a bond between you and the various file types you work with. Configure the editor theme and other options such as font size to mold your ideal editing environment. Learn about every product feature with the included detailed documentation. The app functions in snapped view, allowing you to work side-by-side with other apps, and is fully supported on ARM, x86, and x64 devices. IF YOU LIKE THIS FREE APP, PLEASE SUPPORT ITS CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT WITH GOOD RATINGS. We have many plans for further improvements but want to hear your suggestions too. It is most helpful if you post your own ideas for app features in our support forum (instead of or in addition to reviews in the Store) so that we can communicate directly with you. Sometimes we may need more information about the feature request and by posting in our forums, we can get that from you. Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated. Happy coding! Follow us on Twitter with @CodeWriterApp. You can even chat directly with our dev team via Slack (http://www.actiprosoftware.com/community/chat) to help guide future Code Writer features!More
Version number: Varies by device
We're back! Version 2.5 adds a number of user-requested features and will probably be the last Windows 8.1-compatible version. Our next goal will be to update the UI to be more Windows 10 friendly with a fresh new design. Here's what's new: ADDED: App bar button to access application Settings. ADDED: Browse picker's 'All Files' file type filter can open unregistered file types. ADDED: Browse picker's file type filter alphabetically sorts extensions. ADDED: Move selected lines up (Alt+Up) and down (Alt+Down) edit actions. ADDED: Numerous additional font options to better support Eastern character display. ADDED: codewriter://close-all URL closes all open documents, losing any unsaved changes. ADDED: Print settings for syntax highlighting, line number margin, and whitespace saved. ADDED: Doctype for default HTML, PHP, and ASP templates. CHANGED: HTML auto-completion for void elements no longer self-closes certain tags. CHANGED: Indentation guide contrast increased. FIXED: Save As dialog didn't select the document's current file type by default. FIXED: CSS file type wasn't syntax highlighting media queries correctly. Follow us on Twitter with @CodeWriterApp and chat directly with our dev team via Slack (http://www.actiprosoftware.com/community/chat) to help guide future Code Writer features!
- Some file types support advanced editing features like code outlining, syntax errors, text formatting, quick info, color previews, auto-case correct, etc.
- Create new documents, browse to open any accessible document (local, SkyDrive, etc.), and easily reopen recent documents
- Chromeless UI editing surface that only shows caret position and scrollbars
- Scrollable tabbed document interface to switch between open documents
- Open documents are persisted between app sessions
- Modified documents are flagged
- Find and replace, go to line, and document properties panes
- Document print support with numerous options
- Touch-based selection support, and a plethora of keyboard shortcuts
- Live tile that displays the names and save state of open documents
- Integrates with Settings charm for access to configuration options
- Supports sharing of document or selected text with other apps via the Share charm
- Supports other Windows Store apps sharing text or files with Code Writer via the Share charm
- Detailed documentation that describes all app functionality
- Snapped mode view support for working side-by-side with other apps
- File associations allow the app to be used as a default editor for various file types
- Options for theme, font family/size, line numbers, word wrap, current line highlight, delimiter highlighting and auto-complete, web color previews, whitespace characters, tabs/spaces, line ends, etc.
- Options to add custom file extensions for file types, and disable file types you don't work with
- Run the app and open files using the codewriter:// protocol