Get the power of TheFreeDictionary.com, the world's most comprehensive dictionary. Search multiple English dictionaries, including an offline dictionary, all from the most trusted sources, plus specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, and Idioms, as well as multiple encyclopedias and even Wikipedia. Access dictionaries in 13 other languages and translate words into more than 40 languages. Read daily articles, add bookmarks, and share your favorite content via social networks and email. Even play word games and customize your homepage with local weather and more. You can now log in with The Free Dictionary! Sync your bookmarks to all your devices and never lose them. Plus: Track your learning with points and badges and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by reading and playing games! TAGS: dictionary,free dictionary,online dictionary,dictionary definitions,spanish dictionary,english dictionary,french dictionary,tfd,farlex,thefreedictionary,thesaurus,german dictionary,italian dictionary,arabic dictionary,chinese dictionary,polish dictionary,portuguese dictionary,dutch dictionary,norwegian dictionary,russian dictionary,turkish dictionary,freedictionaryMore
- Search multiple English dictionaries, featuring extensive definitions, audio and phonetic pronunciations, usage sentences, etymologies, and more.
- Offline English dictionary and thesaurus. NOTE: Offline content must be downloaded separately using an Internet connection before offline mode can be accessed.
- Get in-depth info from specialty dictionaries: Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, and Idioms, plus multiple encyclopedias and even Wikipedia. Quickly toggle between them by using the source icons.
- Access dictionaries in 13 other languages, including Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, and Russian.
- Translate English words into more than 40 languages, ranging from Afrikaans and Arabic to Urdu and Vietnamese, plus dozens of other translation options.
- Learn something new with fresh daily content, including Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday and more.
- Browse multiple thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, even pictures.
- Use Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with" and "In definition."
- Share your favorite words and articles via email and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- Navigate the app in a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
- Log in to sync your bookmarks and track your learning.
- Play games, including Spelling Bee and Match Up, plus Words Within Words and Hangman in multiple languages.
- Customize your homepage, including local Weather and personalized Horoscope.
- Add unlimited bookmarks.
- Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
- Search for words on the page.
- Look up the definition of any word on the page with the highlight feature.
- Create live tiles for homepage content like Word of the Day and more.
- View recent search history.
- Remove all ads forever with the Ad-free Upgrade option.
- This ad-free upgrade permanently removes all ads from the app.
Books & referenceMore
- Approximate size
1.77 MB - 27.22 MBMore
- Age rating
For ages 6 and upMore
- Supported operating systems
Windows 10Windows 8.1
- Supported processors
- Supported languages
English (United States)العربية (المملكة العربية السعودية)Deutsch (Deutschland)Ελληνικά (Ελλάδα)Español (España, Alfabetización Internacional)Français (France)Italiano (Italia)Nederlands (Nederland)Norsk, Bokmål (Norge)Polski (Polska)Português (Brasil)Русский (Россия)Türkçe (Türkiye)中文(中华人民共和国)
- Learn more
- Additional terms
Access your Internet connectionAccess your home or work networks
- Report this app
Thanks for reporting your concern. Our team will review it and, if necessary, take action.Sign in to report this app to Microsoft
v2.1 * You can now log in with The Free Dictionary! Sync your bookmarks to all your devices and never lose them. Plus: Track your learning with points and badges and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by reading and playing games! * Bug fixes. v2.0.3 * New Advanced Search design. * Bug fixes. v2.0.2 * Offline mode: download the offline dictionary and thesaurus to use without an Internet connection. * Ability to clear recent searches. * Bug fixes.
Average customer rating
You are unable to rate or review as you do not own this product.
Thanks. Your review will post soon.
There was an error posting your review. Please try again later.
Convenient & Versitile
I Love It & Just Discovered that if I hit the speaker button next to the definition it would pronounce the word, which in this case I was really struggling with. Also, when reading an article I can pop-up the dictionary for an unknown word then, continue with the article. I can move the dictionary around, after it pops-up to look at the article and the definition of the word at the same time. ThanksMore
The Free Dictionary
Love this AP. Interesting, educational and the games keep my 74 old mind sharp. Fun to share word of the day with others. Read it every day.More
This app works great, very quick to give the syllables, and meaning of words, with lots of other info. Highly recommend it.More
I really like that it gives synonyms, related words and antonyms along with the definition--this really helps to shed light on a new word.More
In Depth Information
What I like is the same as what I don't like, too much in depth information. This dictionary is fantastic for any one doing research on a topic because in addition to in depth information foot notes are provided so that you can do even more research.More
As I'm not into "sharing" or "challenging" others, I quickly and easily went thru the Spelling Bee, Word Matchup, Hangman. Word Within A Word slightly more of a challenge. That's it for a single player? No "next" Word Matchup or Hangman after getting the first one? If there ARE further games for them, I couldn't find them. Also the Spelling Bee...hearing the word is giving it too much credit. Broken and unclear and one was (I thought) even pronounced wrong. Need to clean this up for level above Hard.More
easy to get to without having to cross the room. Review
There is nothing I don't like about Dictionary. I always click on the "Word of the Day". I always enjoy the expanded/related information. Wouldn't do without it.More
Great learning fun!
I like that rarely used Words of the Day are introduced, pronounced, and used in sentences to teach the proper usage. I love the Quote of the Day, Article of the Day, This Day in History, and all the word games. I especially enjoy the opportunity to play new games daily. I only wish I could do more than one Match Up per day, as one can for the other 3 games. The Free Dictionary offers great teaching and learning tools. Love it!!!More