Planning and readying the move into the cloud
In the last installment of Microsoft’s Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure blog series, we talked about strategizing your move to the cloud – more specifically the motivations, desired business outcomes, and critical first cloud adoption project.
This post will discuss the Planning and Ready phases of the Cloud Adoption Framework. Links in each section connect you with useful tools, resources, and additional information for refining your cloud adoption strategy.
Develop a cloud adoption plan
During the planning phase, you will turn a strategy into actionable milestones. Various teams will use the cloud adoption plan to align their technical efforts with the business strategy.
Figure 1 – Mapping of skills to IT roles in a cloud-hosted environment.
These four exercises help you develop a cloud adoption plan.
- Take inventory and rationalize your digital estate – gather information about the technology currently deployed across your organization, then consider the best first step to moving these to the cloud. Download the Strategy and Planning template to get started.
- Align organizational resources to support the cloud adoption plan – make sure that you can map the people in your organization to the tasks and governance required for smooth migration. A more in-depth guide to organizational alignment can be found here.
- Perform a cloud skills gap analysis and address any shortcomings – Review the suggested skills with a plan of action to address the skill gaps with the available preparation courses. Get started on the skills readiness path.
- Develop the cloud adoption plan to address change across the digital estate, skills, and organization.
Get ready for Azure
Now that you have a plan, and assuming a cloud provider has been chosen, it is the time to get started with Microsoft Azure.
The first and most important thing to do is the creation of the Landing Zone.
Figure 2 – Considerations for implementing any landing zone deployment.
The following exercises guide you through the process of creating a landing zone to support cloud adoption:
- Review the Azure Setup Guide.
- Evaluate the Cloud Adoption Framework’s migration landing zone blueprint.
- Build on the landing zone blueprint.
- Validate landing zone modifications against best practices for Azure readiness.
Lastly, be sure to check out the Skills readiness path for the Ready phase of Microsoft’s Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure.
The next post will focus on how to help your customers migrate and/or innovate with the Azure Cloud.
This is the third post in a multipart blog series which will continue to dive deep into the lifecycle components and the tools of the Cloud Adoption Framework.
Partners in commercial and government sales & implementation will benefit from understanding the lifecycle of Microsoft’s Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure, as it will enable them to help their customers and deliver a successful migration to the cloud. Furthermore, partners can build a practice (or refine their cloud practice) around the various phases or components of Microsoft’s Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure.