NEW BLOG POST: Upgrading to Windows 10 not only means decreased risk; it also means multi-layered defense against ransomware and other advanced attacks. Read the post
Alert level: Severe Detected with Windows Defender Antivirus
Also detected as: No associated aliases
Windows Defender detects and removes this threat.
This threat uses a Java vulnerability to download and run files on your PC, including other malware.
It runs when you visit a hacked or malicious website and you have a vulnerable version of Java.
The following versions of Java are vulnerable:
- Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 21 and earlier
- Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 45 and earlier
- Java SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 45 and earlier
- OpenJDK 7
To check if you're running a vulnerable version of Java:
- In Control Panel, double-click Programs.
- If Java is installed you will see it in the list of installed programs. Click it to open the Java Control Panel.
- On the General tab, click About to see which version of Java you have installed.
You may get an alert about this threat even if you're not using a vulnerable version of Java. This is because we detect when a website tries to use the vulnerability, even if it isn't successful.