Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) is now Windows Defender Security Intelligence (WDSI). Watch out for even more info about threats and protecting you and your Windows computer.
Alert level: Severe Detected with Windows Defender Antivirus
Also detected as: Exploit-FHV!CVE2013-1493 (McAfee) Exp/20131493-G (Sophos) Exp/20131493-A (Sophos) Exploit.Java.CVE-2013-1493.gen (Kaspersky) Java/CVE_2013_1493.NT!exploit (other)
Windows Defender detects and removes this threat.
It runs when you visit a hacked or malicious website and if you have a vulnerable version of Java.
The following versions of Java are vulnerable:
- Oracle Java JDK and JRE 7 Update 15 and earlier
- Oracle Java JDK and JRE 6 Update 41 and earlier
- Oracle Java JDK and JRE 5 Update 40 and earlier
To check if you're running a vulnerable version of Java:
- In Control Panel, double-click Programs.
- If Java is installed you will see it in the list of installed programs. Click it to open the Java Control Panel.
- On the General tab, click About to see which version of Java you have installed.
You might get an alert about this threat even if you're not using a vulnerable version of Java. This is because we detect when a website tries to use the vulnerability, even if it isn't successful. This doesn't mean that you have been hacked; it means someone has tried to hack into your PC.