Aliases: Virus.Win32.Sality.ag (Kaspersky) W32/Sality.BD (Norman) Win32.Sality.BK (VirusBuster) W32/Sality.AG (Avira) Win32.Sality.3 (BitDefender) Win32/Sality.NBA (ESET) Virus.Win32.Sality (Ikarus) W32/Sality.AA (Panda) Mal/Sality-D (Sophos) Virus.Win32.Sality.at (Sunbelt Software) W32.Sality.AE (Symantec) PE_SALITY.BA-O (Trend Micro)
Use the following free Microsoft software to detect and remove this threat:
You should also run a full scan. A full scan might find other hidden malware.
Be careful when sharing files
Windows has a feature that lets you share files and folders on a network or shared PC. This feature is sometimes abused by malware to spread to other PCs within the network.
You can get more information and tips on how to share files safely from these pages:
- In Windows 8.1, Share files and folders on a network or a shared PC
- In Windows 7, File sharing essentials
- In Windows Vista, Share files and folders over the network
You should turn off file sharing until you make sure that all infected PCs have been cleaned of any malware.
Remove program exceptions in the firewall
This threat might add itself to your Windows Firewall exception list. This means it can go online without being blocked. To remove it from the exception list, do the following:
- Open Windows Firewall by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering firewall in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Windows Firewall.
- In the left pane, tap or click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Tap or click Change settings. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
- Select the check box next to the app you want to allow, select the network types you want to allow communication on, and then click OK.
For Windows 7:
- Click Start, select Control Panel, then System and Security.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- On the menu on the left, select Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you're prompted, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click Change Settings. If you're prompted, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Select <program name> from the list of allowed programs and features. Click Remove.
- Click OK.
For Windows Vista:
- Click Start, select Control Panel, then Security Center.
- On the menu on the left, select Windows Firewall.
- On the menu on the left, select Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Select <program name> from the list of allowed programs and features. Click Delete.
- Click OK.
Additional remediation instructions for this threat
This threat might make lasting changes to your PC's settings that won't be restored when it's cleaned. The following links can help change these settings back to what you want:
- Restore my system registry:
- Restore security settings to a known working state
- Reset Internet Explorer settings
- Change security and privacy settings for Internet Explorer
- Delete the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder
- Change file associations:
- View hidden and/or system files:
- Start Windows services:
- Enable Task Manager:
- Enable Windows Automatic Updates
- Enable System Restore:
- Enable Windows Firewall:
- Enable Windows Security Center/Action Center alerts:
- Correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows
- For other support and help related articles, go to:
- Microsoft Security TechNet Center
Get more help
If you’re using Windows XP, see our Windows XP end of support page.