Good news for Windows Phone 8.1 customers: you can enjoy great new features of Windows 10 Mobile without having to buy a new phone.
The Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) is only available for the following Windows 10 Mobile devices, and availability may vary by carrier and market: HP Elite x3, HP Elite x3 (Verizon), HP Elite x3 (Telstra), Wileyfox Pro, Microsoft Lumia 550, Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL, Microsoft Lumia 650, Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL, Alcatel IDOL 4S, Alcatel IDOL 4S Pro, Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL, Softbank 503LV, VAIO Phone Biz, MouseComputer MADOSMA Q501, MouseComputer MADOSMA Q601, Trinity NuAns Neo.
- Windows 10 Mobile is automatically updated. Windows 10 Mobile users will receive updates automatically during the support period when they are available. Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise users will have the ability to postpone updates. Additional requirements will apply over time for updates, and availability may vary by device, carrier, and market. The amount of time that Windows 10 Mobile users can postpone updates is limited. Support may vary by device and other factors. You can find more information on the Windows Support Lifecycle page.
- Many apps, in-app purchases, files, and settings will migrate as part of the upgrade. However, some apps, in-app purchases, or settings may not migrate.
- Some apps and content sold separately. Feature and app availability and experience may vary by device and market.
As of February 28, 2019, Microsoft Wallet is no longer supported.
When you install the Windows 10 upgrade on your Windows Phone 8.1 device, some features currently on your device will be modified or removed, including the following:
- The FM Radio app will no longer be available on Windows 10 Mobile when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is installed.
- The Kids Corner feature will no longer be available on Windows 10 Mobile when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is installed.
- The Apps Corner feature will no longer be available on Windows 10 Mobile when the Windows 10 Creators Update is installed.
- Notifications for missed calls, messages, and emails on contact tiles is not supported at the time of Windows 10 Mobile release.
- Me Tile and Me Card are no longer supported.
- Group tiles can no longer be used to receive social networking status updates.
- Cortana can no longer search for apps, setting, email, text messaging, contacts and QR Codes on the device and can no longer open apps through voice commands.
- "Hey Cortana" is no longer available on some upgraded devices.
- Indoor Maps are no longer available for some locations.
- At time of Windows 10 Mobile release Outlook Mail app cannot open .EML attachments.
- Outlook Calendar app does not support Tasks.
- MDM capability to prevent saving and sharing Office documents not supported.
- Microsoft account required for some features.
- Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Canada, Spain, Australia and India.
- Speech-to-text is currently only available on Windows 10 in the United States (English), United Kingdom (English), China (Simplified Chinese), France (French), Italy (Italian), Spain (Spanish), Germany (German), Canada (English), Australia (English), India (English), and Japan (Japanese).
- Speech recognition, including Cortana, will vary by device.
- Windows Hello is limited to select premium phones, and requires specialized hardware, including illuminated infrared camera sensor for facial recognition or a finger print reader which supports the Windows Biometric Framework. To check for device compatibility and other important information, visit your device manufacturer's website.
- Continuum for phones limited to select premium phones. Feature requires external monitor with DisplayPort, HDMI connector, or compatible adapter and Continuum for phones-compatible accessories, all sold separately. App availability and experience varies by device and market.
- Music and video streaming through Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) or Movies & TV apps is not available in all regions.
- Xbox app and some games and features only available in Xbox Live-supported countries and regions. You can see the list at Xbox Live Countries and Regions website.
- Skype available only in select countries and regions. Calling to select countries and regions only. Excludes special, premium and non-geographic numbers. For details, visit the Office FAQ page.
- Microsoft 365 subscription required for some features.