|Course OutlineModule 1: Introduction to Projects |Lessons
This module provides an overview of projects, their important characteristics, and their challenges. You are introduced to project life-cycle planning, project management essentials, and both agile and waterfall delivery approaches.
Lab : List Characteristics of a Project
- What is a Project
- Project Challenges
- Project Management
- Agile Models
Lab : List Factors that Influence Projects
- C List Characteristics of a Project.
Lab : List Factors that Influence Projects
- List Factors that Lead to Project Success.
- List Factors that Make Projects Challenging.
- List Project Management Best Practices
Module 2: Introduction to Sure Step
- Define a project.
- List project challenges.
- Explain project life-cycle planning
- Position project management. Describe agile and waterfall project delivery models.
This module introduces the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Methodology, its values, and its benefits and provides an overview of the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Methodology model.
This module explains the functionality of Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step client and Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Online and covers how to manage Sure Step projects by creating and maintaining the project repositories.Lessons
Lab : Create and Modify a Project Template and Clone a Project
- Introduction to Sure Step
- Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Model
- Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Client
- Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Online
- Project Repositories
- Create a New Project Template
- Clone a Project
Module 3: Project Planning and Solution Envisioning in the Diagnostic Phase
- Introduce the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Methodology, its values, and its benefits.
- Provide an overview of the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Methodology model.
- Explain the functionality of Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step client and Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Online.
- Explain how to manage Sure Step projects by creating and maintaining the project repositories.
This module discusses how to initiate and plan projects in the diagnostic phase. It presents solution envisioning, the Diagnostic phase, and the decision accelerators. This module also introduces you to the Tailspin Toys case study.
Lab : Tailspin Toys Diagnostic and Solution Envisioning Lab
- Position Solution Envisioning and the Diagnostic Phase.
- Top-Down View on the Diagnostic Phase.
- Overview and Positioning of Decision Accelerator offerings.
- Introduction to the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step Case Study.
- Import the Tailspin Toys Project File for the Case Study in Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step.
- The Tailspin Toys Opportunity Briefing.
- Review Preliminary Tailspin Toys Project Information.
- Select Decision Accelerator Offerings for Tailspin Toys Solution Envisioning
Module 4: Delivering Decision Accelerators
- Use solution envisioning and the Diagnostic phase.
- Examine how to prepare and plan for a Diagnostic phase.
- Decide which decision accelerators meet the customer’s needs.
- Identify and define the scope for the project based on results from the Decision Accelerator Offerings.
- Guide the customer toward the most efficient implementation process and project type.
- Produce time and cost estimates for the project.
- Plan the resources for the project.
- Plan for risks.
- Create a project proposal.
- Achieve customer sign-off.
This module leads you through the delivery process of the Requirements and Process Review and the Fit Gap and Solution Blueprint decision accelerators. Use the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step methodology reference, guidance, and available tools and templates, and apply them to the Tailspin Toys case study. You will become familiar with the decision accelerator delivery guides and learn how the Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step document templates streamline collecting the input documentation and preparing the output deliverables.
Lab : Requirements and Process Review
- Use the tools, templates, and links to help you deliver the Requirements and Process Review decision accelerator
Lab : Fit Gap and Solution Blueprint
- Select your Delivery Team.
- Review the necessary input information.
- Review the Final Presentation.
- Complete the Final Presentation.
- Locate and Review the Fit Gap Analysis Worksheet.
- Complete the Fit Gap Analysis Worksheet.
- Complete the Fit Gap and Solution Blueprint Report
- Define the next steps.
Module 5: Proposal Generation and Final Licensing and Services AgreementsThis module discusses Proposal Generation and Final Licensing and Services Agreements activities in Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step with a practical focus.Lessons
- Use the reference guide in the Sure Step Methodology to select the team members.
- Review the input information from the customer.
- Understand the Requirements and Process Review delivery process
- Use the tools, templates, and links to help you deliver the Requirements and Process Review decision accelerator.
Lab : Define the Project Type for the Case Study
- Proposal Generation
- Final Licensing and Services Agreement
Lab : Create the Tailspin Toys Project Charter
- Select and Recommend the Project Type for the Tailspin Toys Implementation.
- Create the Tailspin Toys Project Charter
- Upload the Tailspin Toys Project Charter in the Tailspin Toys Document Repository
Module 6: Proposal Generation and Final Licensing and Services Agreements
- Identify the key points for proposal generation and final licensing agreements.
- Explore all project types.
- Locate key document templates including Roles and Responsibilities, Project Plan, Project Charter, Budgetary Estimate Proposal, and Statement of Work.
- Make the Tailspin Toys Project Charter.
This module introduces to the eight Sure Step Project Management Disciplines that correspond to Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) knowledge areas. These disciplines address specific aspects of managing a project and provide best practices and process guidance for managing projects and various constraints and factors that influence project success or failure.
Lab : Identify and Manage Risks
- Risk Management
- Quality Management
- Communication Management
- Managing Scope Changes
- Resource Management
Lab : Status Reporting
- Use the Risk Identification Checklist
- Use the Risk Register
Lab : Issue Management
- Review the development estimate.
- Review the consultant status report.
- Create the Project Status Report
Lab : Managing Scope Changes
- Identify and discuss issues
- Identify Changes
- Review the information for changes
- Document and Analyze the changes in the Change Request form
- Update the Project Plan
Module 7: Waterfall Delivery
Provide an overview of the Risk Management, Resource Management, Quality Management, Communication Management, and Scope Management disciplines.
This module describes the project life cycle planning of the Sure Step waterfall project types. It includes the activities and deliverables of the Analysis, Design and Development phases. This module includes ten Tailspin Toys labs.
Lab : Prepare for the Tailspin Toys Kickoff Meeting
- Analysis Phase
- Design Phase
- Development Phase
Lab : Conduct the Kickoff Meeting
- Project Organization and Team members
- Summarize and update the Tailspin Toys Project Scope
- List Key deliverables
- Identify Issues and Risks
- Plan Training
- Report Project Status
- Update the Tailspin Toys Project Charter
- Create the Kick Off presentation
Lab : Review a Detailed Business Process Analysis
- Conduct the Kickoff Meeting
Lab : Complete the Functional Requirements Document
- Review the Workshop Reports
- Review the Process Flows that are Available in Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step
Lab : Identify Gap Information
- Read the FRD content in the Tailspin Toys FRD
- Complete the Tailspin Toys FRD
Lab : Identify Integration and Interface Requirements
- Identify and understand new GAP information
- Complete the Fit Gap Spreadsheet with new information
Lab : Identify IssuesLab : Document Changes
- Identify and understand new Integration information
- Complete the Fit Gap Spreadsheet with new information
- Analyze the new integration situation
Lab : Create the Deployment Plan
- Review information for changes
- Document and analyze the changes in the change request form
- Review and approve or reject the change requests
Lab : Create a Fit Design in the Functional Design Document
- List all Deployment activities
- Read the exercise scenario
- Locate and open the Deployment plan
- Create the Deployment plan for Tailspin Toys
Lab : Create a Gap design in the Functional design Document
- Locate and Review the FDD configuration for Tailspin Toys
Lab : Create a Solution Design Document
- Locate and Review the FDD Customization for Tailspin Toys
Lab : Create the Project Status Report
- Locate and review the SDD
Lab : Unit and Function Testing
- Locate the Project Status Report
Lab : Prepare the Tollgate Review
- Review the Test Script Scenarios
- Review the test results in the updated unit function test scenario worksheet
- Locate the Tollgate Review Report
Module 8: Agile Delivery
- Explain the project execution in the Sure Step waterfall project types.
- Examine how to prepare for and conduct the kick off meeting with the customer.
- Determine whether a Solutions Overview before the Business Requirements Workshops is required.
- Describe the Detailed Business Analysis process.
- Identify and document the gaps in the workshop review documents.
- Identify the integration requirements from the workshop review documents.
- Examine how to handle issues in your project.
- Explain how to control scope creep by implementing scope management.
- Examine how to plan early for the Deployment phase by creating a deployment plan.
- Describe how to use Solution Design documents.
- Examine Performance Reporting.
- Examine Status Reporting.
- Plan and perform testing activities across different phases.
- Conduct a Tollgate Review.
This module introduces you to Agile preparation and execution in Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step.
Lab : Create the Tailspin Toys Solution Backlog
- Agile Preparation
- Agile Execution
- Create the Tailspin Toys Solution Backlog
Module 9: Deployment Phase
- Describe Agile preparation.
- Describe Agile execution.
- Find and use the solution backlog.
- Find and use the Sprint backlog.
- Open and view the Requirements Design template.
This module introduces you to the Deployment phase, in which the project team uses all its effort to successfully transition the customer to the new Microsoft Dynamics ERP solution. Key activities in this phase include end-user training, performance testing, user acceptance testing, and the actual cutover to the new production environment.
Lab : User Acceptance Testing
- Conduct User Training
- Testing Activities During the Deployment phase
- The Production environment
- Create the Production Operations guide
- Data migration
Lab : Create a Go-Live Cutover Plan
- Review the Test Script scenarios and the test results
- Next steps
- Prepare for Go-Live Cutover Plan
- Create the Go-Live Cutover plan
Module 10: Operation Phase
- Describe User Training.
- Describe testing activities in the Deployment phase.
- Explore the production environment.
- Describe the production operations guide.
- Describe data migration.
- Describe go-live.
This module navigates you through the Sure Step Operation phase.
Lab : Clear Pending Items
- Quality Management
- Additional Operation Activities
- Project Closure
Lab : Conduct Closeout Meeting
- Identify issues to be resolved.
Lab : Close project
- Prepare for the Closeout meeting
- Conduct the class discussion
- Engagement closure checklist
- Project closeout meeting agenda
- Project closeout report
- Explain why quality management is important during the Operation phase.
- List additional activities that occur in the Operation phase.
- Explain the need for project closure.
- Explain how to work toward project closure.
- Celebrate the completion of a successful project.
| Additional Reading |
Participants in this training course must have experience in managing projects. Knowledge on standard project management methodologies (PMI, Prince2, SCRUM, ..) is recommended but not necessary.
Because a consultant-friendly layer has been built into the labs, sufficient knowledge of one of the Microsoft Dynamics products is also an advantage in successfully completing the case study.