What dates do I need to keep in mind?
July 12, 2022
SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates end. SQL Server 2012 end of support.
Jan 10, 2023
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates come to an end.
Oct 10, 2023
The end of support for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2.
Jan 09, 2024
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates on Azure come to an end.
Move to Azure, run securely
- Get Windows Server and SQL Server Extended Security Updates for 3 more years at no additional charge, only in Azure.
- This includes all Azure destinations such as Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Dedicated Host, Azure VMware Solution, and the Azure Stack portfolio.
- Save even more with Azure Hybrid Benefit.
- Enhance protection with cloud-native security solutions such as Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
Purchase and deploy Extended Security Updates enabled by Azure Arc
- Eligible customers with Software Assurance under an Enterprise Agreement can purchase and seamlessly deploy Extended Security Updates (ESUs) through Azure Arc in on-premises or hosted environments, right from the Azure portal.
- In addition to providing a centralized management of security patching, Extended Security Updates enabled by Azure Arc gives you more flexibility with a pay-as-you-go subscription model, compared to the classic Extended Security Updates offered through the Volume Licensing Center which are purchased in yearly increments.
- For annual billing options through Volume Licensing, reach out to your Microsoft representative.
Additional year of extended security updates, only on Azure, for Windows Server and SQL Server
As SQL Server and Windows Server releases end support, many customers are taking advantage of Azure's commitment to security and compliance and have moved to Azure to protect their workloads with free Extended Security Updates.
For those customers who need some more time to upgrade and modernize their SQL Server and Windows Server on Azure, we will now provide one additional year of free extended security updates, only on Azure. This includes other Azure products such as Azure Dedicated Host, Azure VMWare Solution, Azure Nutanix Solution, and Azure Stack (Hub, Edge, and HCI).
Extended Security Updates frequently asked questions
Find answers to commonly asked questions about end of support for SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 and 2012, as well as Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 and 2012/2012 R2. This does not cover Windows 7 or Office 2010. Please visit the Windows 7 and Office 2010 EOS FAQ for more info about these products.
Prepare for end of support
We're here to help you migrate to current versions for greater security, performance and innovation.