Where your data is located
As a customer of Microsoft business services, you know where your data is stored.
Stringent security for our data centers
Microsoft maintains an ever-expanding network of data centers around the globe and verifies each data center meets stringent security requirements.
Customer data may be replicated within a selected geographic area for enhanced data durability in case of a major data center disaster, and in some cases, will not be replicated outside it.
Microsoft also complies with international data protection laws regarding transfers of customer data across borders. For example:
- To allow for the continuous flow of information required by international business (including the cross-border transfer of personal data), many Microsoft business cloud services offer customers EU Standard Contractual Clauses that provide additional contractual guarantees around transfers of personal data for in-scope cloud services. Our implementation of the EU Model Clauses has been validated by EU data protection authorities as being in line with the rigorous privacy standards that regulate international data transfers by companies operating in its member states.
- In addition to our commitments under the Standard Contractual Clauses and other model contracts, Microsoft is certified to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce however, Microsoft no longer relies on the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as a legal basis for transfers of personal data out of the EU in light of the judgment of the Court of Justice of the EU in Case C-311/18.
- Microsoft will not transfer to any third party (not even for storage purposes) data that you provide to Microsoft through the use of our business cloud services that are covered under the Microsoft Product Terms.
Note that no matter where customer data is stored, Microsoft does not control or limit the locations from which customers or their end users may access their data.
Here are details on data residency and transfer policies specific to Microsoft cloud services:
- Azure DevOps Services
- Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory
- Microsoft Commerce
- Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
- Microsoft Defender for Identity Personal Data Policy
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft Power Platform
- Microsoft Professional Services
- Microsoft Threat Protection