SQL Server 2016 (SP2)
SQL Server 2016 delivers breakthrough mission-critical capabilities with in-memory performance and operational analytics built-in. Comprehensive security features like new Always Encrypted technology helps protect your data at rest and in motion, and a world class high availability and disaster recovery solution adds new enhancements to AlwaysOn technology.
Get started for free
ISO/CAB media formats are available in the executable file:
Organizations will gain deeper insights into all of their data with new capabilities that go beyond business intelligence to perform advanced analytics directly within their database and present rich visualizations for business insights on any device.You can also gain the benefits of hyper-scale cloud with new hybrid scenarios enabled by new Stretch Database technology that lets you dynamically stretch your warm and cold transactional data to Microsoft Azure in a secured way so your data is always at hand for queries, no matter the size. In addition, SQL Server 2016 delivers a complete database platform for hybrid cloud, enabling you to easily build, deploy and manage solutions that span on-premises and cloud.
- Enhanced in-memory performance provides up to 30x faster transactions, more than 100x faster queries than disk based relational databases and real-time operational analytics
- New Always Encrypted technology helps protect your data at rest and in motion, on-premises and in the cloud, with master keys sitting with the application, without application changes
- Built-in advanced analytics– provide the scalability and performance benefits of building and running your advanced analytics algorithms directly in the core SQL Server transactional database
- Business insights through rich visualizations on mobile devices with native apps for Windows, iOS and Android
- Simplify management of relational and non-relational data with ability to query both through standard T-SQL using PolyBase technology
- Stretch Database technology keeps more of your customer’s historical data at your fingertips by transparently stretching your warm and cold OLTP data to Microsoft Azure in a secure manner without application changes
- Faster hybrid backups, high availability and disaster recovery scenarios to backup and restore your on-premises databases to Microsoft Azure and place your SQL Server AlwaysOn secondaries in Azure
SQL Server 2016 SP2 contains fixes to issues that have been reported through our customer feedback platforms and Hotfix solutions provided in SQL Server 2016 Cumulative Update 2 through Cumulative Update 8. Service Pack 2 also includes supportability and scalability enhancements, and addresses issues that have been reported through the Windows Error Reporting system.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2 Feature Pack is a collection of stand-alone packages which provide additional value for Microsoft SQL Server. It includes the latest version of:
- Tool and components for Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2
- Add-on providers for Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2
- Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish
- Review SQL Server 2016 system requirements and release notes
- Register, then download and install full-featured software for a 180-day trial
- Receive emails with resources to guide you through your evaluation
Note: You must have administrative rights on the computer to install SQL Server 2016.
After downloading and running the installer, you may perform an immediate Basic installation of the SQL Engine, a full Custom installation, or download the media only. If you select to download media only versus doing an installation, two media download formats are available to the folder of your choice:
SQL Server 2016 with SP2 DVD (ISO) Image
You can use the ISO image to Mount and/or burn your own DVD. After the SQL Server installer downloads SQLServer2016SP2-FullSlipstream-x64-<language>.iso
- Right click on SQLServer2016SP2-FullSlipstream-x64-<language>.iso and select “Mount”. Locate and execute setup.exe on the mounted device to begin the installation.
- Using your DVD-burning software, select the options to burn a DVD from an .ISO image. After burning the DVD, locate and double-click Setup.exe on the DVD to begin the installation.
SQL Server 2016 with SP2 CAB file
The installer will download the following compressed files. Once the download has completed, double click on SQLServer2016-x64-<language>.exe to begin the installation process.
SQL Server on Azure: Create and launch your own Azure SQL solution
Product Website | Reinvent your business with SQL Server
Microsoft Docs | SQL Server and Azure SQL technical documentation
Community | Microsoft Tech Community: SQL Server
Getting Started Guide | SQL Server 2016 technical overview e-book
Product Resource | SQL Server developer tools
Upgrade Options | Supported version and edition upgrades for SQL Server 2016
SQL Server 2019 continues to push the boundaries of security, availability, and performance for all your data workloads, now with new compliance tools, higher performance on the latest hardware, and high availability on Windows, Linux and containers.
Get started with SQL Server 2019
SQL Server 2017 represents a major step towards making SQL Server a platform that gives you choices of development languages, data types, on-premises or cloud, and operating systems by bringing the power of SQL Server to Linux, Linux-based Docker containers, and Windows.
Get started with SQL Server 2017
SQL Server 2016 delivers breakthrough mission-critical capabilities with in-memory performance and operational analytics built-in. Comprehensive security features like new Always Encrypted technology help protect your data at rest and in motion.
Get started with SQL Server 2016