Chat app tools for every kind of conversation
Whether you’re chatting one on one, in a group, or on video, applications like Microsoft Teams can boost connection and productivity at home and work.
How group and video chats support your best work
Discover how group and video chat (also known as video calling) create connection and simplify work.
Hybrid work facilitation
Work flexibly and efficiently with group chat tools like file and screen sharing.
Help everyone stay focused on the task at hand with calendar and reminder tools.
Keep your employees in the loop and offer praise (and emojis) for a job well-done.
Use approvals, shared tasks, and @mentions to keep your team up to date and on target.
Get the most out of group chats
Utilize these chat features to stay organized and collaborate more effectively.
Group chat tools
Make the most out of your group chats by taking advantage of these features.
Add new people to a chat
Bring more people into the conversation. When you add new participants to your chat, allow them to see chat history and shared files.
Customize chat notifications
Decide when, where, and how you want to receive chat notifications.
Utilize message threads
Keep conversations focused and specific to relevant users.
Connect with users in other organizations
Broaden workplace collaboration by expanding beyond your organization with tools like Microsoft Teams Connect.
Share your screen
Instantly provide visuals for your group and keep everyone on the same page when you share content from your screen.
Name and pin your group chat
Keep your chats organized and top of mind.
Learn more about group chat in your workplace
Your guide to chat etiquette in the workplace
Five ways to make group chats the best place at work
How to use bots in your chat platform
Five must have additions your group chat at work needs
Capitalize on chat app capabilities
What are the most helpful Teams group chat apps?
Group chat apps like Microsoft Teams allow people to take advantage of numerous applications, all while staying within a group chat. Some of the most popular and useful apps allow you to:
- Create a task and share it with members of your team.
- Send an approval within your conversation.
- Show team members how much you value them with the Praise app.
- Poll the group with Polly or another polling app and gain valuable feedback.
- Launch an inspiring brainstorm session with a collaborative whiteboard app.
- Collect robust data and make informed decisions with Microsoft Forms.
- Track a project from beginning to end with Microsoft Project.
- Find the data most relevant to your team and share reports with Microsoft Power BI for Teams.
- Remember important tasks, birthdays, and other notable events and milestones with the Remind app.
- Work on files with your group directly in chat with file collaboration.
- Schedule meetings directly from your group chat.
Which Teams video chat app tools can streamline my chat experience and help me stay organized?
Teams video chat apps feature a range of tools to enhance a person’s experience and improve communication and collaboration. Common video chat tools include:
- Screen sharing—present your team or group with visuals to help convey information.
- Interactive chat—allow participants to pose questions, add comments, or connect one-on-one with each other during the video call.
- Recording—stay focused on your call, not on taking notes. Distribute the recording after your call and follow up on action items with relevant parties.
- Transcription services—make your call accessible after the fact. Searchable transcriptions allow users to quickly locate key information.
- Live captioning—help ensure access for your entire team. AI-driven live captioning tools can provide written subtitles during your call.
- Live polls—take the temperature of the room by sending polls and quizzes over the course of your call or meeting. You’ll get immediate feedback and can present the results to the group in real time.
- Stream pre-recorded videos—applications like Microsoft Stream can help facilitate video events like company meetings, town halls, or presentations, and can be incorporated into live video chat calls.
Frequently asked questions
A group chat is a private, instant message text conversation happening between three or more participants.
Common video chat tools include screen sharing, transcription services, live captioning, recording capabilities, and live polls.
Get started with Microsoft Teams today