Internet Explorer was retired on June 15, 2022
The Windows Identity Foundation helps simplify user access for developers by externalizing user access from applications via claims and reducing development effort with pre-built security logic and integrated .NET tools.
Important! Selecting a language below will dynamically change the complete page content to that language.
KB Articles:Windows Identity Foundation helps .NET developers build claims-aware applications that externalize user authentication from the application, improving developer productivity, enhancing application security, and enabling interoperability. Developers can enjoy greater productivity, using a single simplified identity model based on claims. They can create more secure applications with a single user access model, reducing custom implementations and enabling end users to securely access applications via on-premises software as well as cloud services. Finally, they can enjoy greater flexibility in application development through built-in interoperability that allows users, applications, systems and other resources to communicate via claims.
Supported Operating Systems
Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7
- Microsoft® Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0
- Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5
- This download offers you the benefits of registering with Microsoft. Click the Continue button near the top of this page to register. After you have gone through the registration process, you will be returned to this page to begin the download.
Download the x86 or x64 runtime package appropriate for your system as follows:
- For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, select the msu file with name starting Windows6.0.
- For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, select the msu file with name starting Windows6.1.