SQL Server 2014
- Enterprise for mission critical applications and data warehousing
- Business Intelligence for premium corporate and self-service business intelligence capabilities
- Standard for core database capabilities, reporting, and analytics
- For new SQL Server 2014 licenses, a passive secondary instance is permitted only on a license covered by Software Assurance.
- SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence comes with relaxed multiplexing rules for “pooled” data sources. The CAL requirement is waived for those data sources.
- License individual virtual machines (VM), and when licensing per core, buy core licenses only for the virtual cores assigned to the VM.
- License for high VM density by buying Enterprise Edition core licenses and Software Assurance for all the physical cores on the server (or server farm) and deploying an unlimited number of VMs on the licensed hardware. Without Software Assurance , VM density is limited to one VM per Enterprise Edition core license.
- License for VM mobility across private and public clouds. VM license mobility is a Software Assurance benefit. Without Software Assurance, licenses can be moved from one server to another only once every 90 days.