Build intelligent, mission-critical applications using a scalable, hybrid database platform that has everything built in—from in-memory performance and advanced security to in-database analytics.
- Enterprise for mission-critical applications and data warehousing
- Standard for core database capabilities, reporting, and analytics
SQL Server provides a variety of virtualization and cloud benefits that help you save money on database licensing and retain flexibility in your database deployments. With SQL Server, you can:
- License individual virtual machines (VM), and when licensing per core, buy core licenses only for the virtual cores assigned to the VM.
- License for high VM density by buying Enterprise Edition core licenses and Software Assurance for all the physical cores on the server (or server farm) and deploying an unlimited number of VMs on the licensed hardware. Without Software Assurance, VM density is limited to one VM per Enterprise Edition core license.
- License for VM mobility across private and public clouds. VM license mobility is a Software Assurance benefit. Without Software Assurance, licenses can be moved from one server to another only once every 90 days.
- Benefit from fail-over rights extended to your cloud deployments if you use License Mobility through Software Assurance.
- Apply your license to the Azure Hybrid Benefit for SQL Server. For more details, see the Azure Hybrid Benefit page.