Microsoft Azure for Research
Whether it’s a computer with more memory, a cluster with thousands of cores, a big data platform, an internet of things solution, or open-source machine learning at scale, you can achieve more using the cloud. Microsoft Azure provides an open, flexible, global platform that supports multiple programming languages, tools, and frameworks.
Currently open special requests for proposals
We do not currently have any open calls for proposals for the use of Azure for research at this time. Please check back on this page for future RFPs and monitor Microsoft Research’s social media channels for future RFP announcements.
Azure in action
Researchers around the world are using Microsoft Azure to enable them to accelerate their research. Find out more:
If you are using Microsoft Azure for a cloud-based research project and would like to share your story, please let us know and we will share your great work with the community. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Azure for Research hands-on labs
Hands-on labs are intended to familiarize researchers and data scientists with the services Azure offers to aid them in their research, especially with regard to high-performance computing, big-data analysis, and analyzing data streaming from Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices. There are detailed walk-throughs and what’s more you can download the material and work through it yourself. The labs are available under an open license on the online learning portal. Feel free to re-use this material for your own courses. All we ask is that you please let us know if you are using it.
Watch the online training videos developed to provide a core curriculum for scientists interested in using Microsoft Azure for research. We recommend watching them in sequence from 1 to 6.
The one-hour, interactive online sessions on Microsoft Azure have been turned into a great webinar video series. The webinars were designed to help you understand the value and capabilities of cloud computing and how you can use it for your research in practical ways.
Interested in Azure Machine Learning? Access tutorials that’ll help with everything from setting up your first predictive analytics experiment, to publishing results, to creating a complete machine learning solution.
Choose from a selection of technical papers made for researchers to help you to quickly start working with Azure. The papers cover a range of topics from ‘Getting started with Azure’ to ‘Azure Virtual Machines’ to ‘Azure Cloud Services’. Some prior technical computing skills are assumed. Read the technical papers with instructions on using Azure features.
Getting started with Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure for Research Overview (PDF, 961 KB)
- Microsoft Azure for Linux and Mac Users (PDF, 1.62 MB)
- An Introduction to Using Python with Microsoft Azure (PDF, 1.66 MB)
- Visualization with Excel Tools and Microsoft Azure (PDF, 1.61 MB)
- Creating Microsoft Azure Web Sites (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Managing Scientific Data with Microsoft Azure Storage (PDF, 1.26 MB)
- Building Scientific Data Solutions in Microsoft Azure (PDF, 1.03 MB) Data (XLXS, 5.04 MB)
Microsoft Azure Cloud Services (Platform as a Service)
- Scaling a Microsoft Azure Cloud Service (PDF, 742 KB)
- Installing the Microsoft Azure BLAST Example (PDF, 991 KB)
- Building Scalable Services in Microsoft Azure with Python (PDF, 859 KB)
- High Performance Computing on Microsoft Azure for Scientific and Technical Applications (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- MATLAB Distributed Computing Server with HPC Cluster in Microsoft Azure (PDF, 2.39 MB)
Virtual machines in Microsoft Azure (Infrastructure as a Service)
- Getting Started with Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines (PDF, 977 KB)
- Using and Contributing Virtual Machines to VM Depot (PDF 1.17 MB)
Azure IaaS for IT pros
Learn Microsoft Azure from the experts—and at no financial cost to you. These Microsoft Azure infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) training courses cover key technical topics for IT pros and developers, including Azure Virtual Machines and virtual networks. In addition, IT pros can gain insight into platform-as-a-service (PaaS) implementation, including using PowerShell for automation and management, using Active Directory, migrating from on-premises to cloud infrastructure, and important licensing information. Enroll in our Azure training courses and discover the advantages of cloud computing with Microsoft Azure.
From cancer to crop genomics — using Research as a Service at the intersection of computers and biology
Cloud computing guide for researchers – Learn how to use Microsoft Azure for research and data science