Cloud security and assurance | Policy paper
Cloud computing represents a seismic shift from traditional computing, one that enables users, whether businesses or government agencies, to do more, faster. At the same time, greater awareness of the online risk environment has also meant that users are increasingly concerned about security of their data online.
In this paper, Microsoft explores how cloud computing can sometimes provide greater security benefits than on-premises solutions, for example through:
- Outsourcing security maintenance to cloud providers;
- Using the power of cloud computing as a shock absorber for security;
- Benefiting from cloud’s scale to better understand the threat environment;
- Utilizing the physical security controls of data centers;
- Profiting from the substantial security investments cloud providers have made.