Frequently asked questions
- Online resources and tools available to all customers.
- End-to-end guidance from Microsoft engineering.
- Delivery by Microsoft engineers or approved partners.
- Availability for Microsoft 365, Office 365, Azure, Dynamics 365, and more.
See the entry above for more information about Azure Active Directory IDs. If you are currently eligible for FastTrack but are experiencing difficulty logging into the FastTrack portal because you do not have an Azure Active Directory ID, please contact the FastTrack team by sending an email to FastTrackNoTenantSub@Microsoft.com with the subject line "FastTrack Non-AAD login" and include the following information:
- Company name
- Phone number at which you can be contacted for support
- Time zone in which you are located
Note that by submitting your information, you are authorizing a FastTrack representative to contact you. Your information will not be shared outside of the FastTrack team and will be used solely for support purposes.
A FastTrack specialist is your ambassador to the FastTrack process who is responsible for your overall onboarding experience. Throughout your engagement it’s likely you’ll work with multiple FastTrack specialists on specific topics as they bring in expertise to address your specific situation. FastTrack specialists include Microsoft personnel, vendors, and approved partners. A FastTrack specialist:
- Helps you with Microsoft recommended set of onboarding processes and guidance.
- Coordinates specific deep dive technical workshops.
- Helps you understand key success adoption factors.
- Conducts technical workshops and provide specific guidance.
- Serves as subject matter experts on various technologies.
Our guides walk you through setting up the services you want to use. You select the features and options you want to deploy, and the guides build a step-by-step setup plan customized to your needs. You'll get a full set of instructions, videos, reference articles, and scripts. Some guides include automation that will change some of your settings, while in other areas of the guide you can change your settings and data to guide you. You can use these guides anytime, even during planning or after you've already set up the services, to learn more about Microsoft 365 features and options. In addition, you can use the guides to prepare your environment and set up email, Exchange Online Protection, Windows 10 with Office 365, SharePoint, Office 365 ProPlus, OneDrive for Business, Azure AD Connect, Azure AD Basic and Premium, Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Groups, Skype for Business, Yammer, and StaffHub.
Microsoft users, partners, and customers initiate their request from the FastTrack website. To complete the request, the user must first sign in to their account. After signing in, the user will be automatically taken to their account dashboard where the user can view existing RFAs or start a new one. Once the RFA has been completed and accepted, a FastTrack specialist will be assigned and listed in the FastTrack status view for the customer.
Anyone can take advantage of our online resources available right here on this site—anytime. For more in-depth information on FastTrack’s service eligibility requirements, visit our eligible services and plans page.
- All customers with current and eligible Microsoft 365 plan subscriptions can use FastTrack onboarding, migration, and adoption services.
- In addition to access to online FastTrack resources, eligible customers have access to remote guidance from FastTrack specialists or approved partners.
- Subscriptions to individual components of Microsoft 365, (Office 365, EMS, and Windows 10) are also eligible for FastTrack services. See below for details on specific services and products enabled by FastTrack.
- See more details about FastTrack here.
All customers with current and eligible Office 365 subscriptions can use FastTrack onboarding, migration, and adoption services.
- In addition to access to online FastTrack resources, eligible customers have access to remote guidance from FastTrack specialists or approved partners.
- Customers with more than 150 Office 365 seats have access to FastTrack services for questions and answers on Office 365.
- Migration assistance for email and files is available with the purchase of 500 or more seats.
- Mail can be moved to Exchange Online from on-premises Exchange Server, IBM Domino, Google Apps for Work, Novell GroupWise, or IMAP-capable systems. Files can be moved to OneDrive for Business from Google Drive, Box, or file shares and to SharePoint Online team sites from file shares.
- See details for license counts and editions.
EMS and the cloud services included in the FastTrack Center Benefit for EMS: Enterprise Mobility + Security, Enterprise Mobility + Security (as part of the Secure Productive Enterprise).
Purchased as standalone: Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium (E3 and E5), Microsoft Intune, Microsoft Intune for Education, Microsoft Azure Information Protection (E3 and E5), and Microsoft Cloud App Security.
- See additional details for EMS here.
FastTrack for Azure requires a Microsoft field nomination.
- Located in one of the below geographical locations where FastTrack is available: United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom or Western Europe (defined as the Microsoft WE region), Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Nordics, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- Please note FastTrack delivery is available in English only.
- Eligible customers also need to have an identified Azure project estimated to consume a minimum of USD 5,000 per month (or local currency equivalent) of Azure services (at TPID level). Please note that all commercial and government customers are eligible if they satisfy the criteria regardless of purchase channel and licensing.
- FastTrack is a post-sales tool, so customers are required to have an active paid Azure subscription to be eligible.
- Customers can’t be directly supported by a Microsoft Cloud Solution architect.
250 combined eligible App or Plan user subscription licenses.
- Essentials: 20–149 combined eligible App or Plan user subscription licenses, or the equivalent.
Full: 150 or more combined eligible App or Plan user subscription licenses, or the equivalent.
FastTrack for App Assure
The App Assure service provides remote assistance to customers who are moving to Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus and consuming updates who experience valid compatibility issues with:
- Customer-developed line-of-business (LOB) apps (including desktop and web apps).
- Commercial apps developed by third-party independent software vendors (ISVs).
- Supported Microsoft products and services running on Windows 10—for example, customers experiencing compatibility issues transitioning add-ins from Office perpetual clients to Office 365 ProPlus on Windows 10.
By engaging with the FastTrack team, an App Assure Manager will work with the customer throughout their migration to Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus, and when they consume Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus updates through our semi-annual channel. The App Assure Manager will engage the right Microsoft Engineers to address valid app issues including diagnosing and remediating compatibility issues - at no cost to customers with an eligible subscription.
Windows 10 is the most compatible version of Windows ever and has become the most rapidly adopted and most widely used computer operating system in history, with over 500 million Windows 10 users worldwide. Based on Windows telemetry, 99 percent of Windows 7 apps run on Windows 10, reducing the need for costly testing. Office Readiness Toolkit data indicates similarly high levels of compatibility for Office migrations. That said, we know that app compatibility for Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus can be a fear for many customers and ISVs that slows down deployment. With that in mind we are launching the App Assure service so that customers and ISVs can feel confident in their shift to Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus with the promise of direct support from Microsoft to address app compatibility issues. This service will help our customers further accelerate their deployment and adoption of Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus to get current and stay current.
The perception of app compatibility—and the unknowns associated with identifying problems—is a real blocker for concerned customers. This program brings confidence back into the equation. And for the small set of apps that do have issues, it brings direct Microsoft help to remediate.
Like all FastTrack offerings, App Assure will be offered at no additional cost with an eligible subscription (more than 150 seats).
Yes, these claims are real. We can afford to deliver this program because only a very small number of apps face compatibility issues. We can—and we’re committed to—helping customers resolve those issues. But the steps we’ve already taken with Windows 10 help ensure that the actual instance of app compatibility issues are very low.
English, Japanese, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), German, Spanish, Korean, French, Portuguese (BR) and Italian.
App Assure will be offered at no additional cost to Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education customers with an eligible subscription (more than 150 seats). Commercial, Education and Public Sector customers with 150 or more Microsoft 365 E3/E5/A3/A5, Windows 10 E3/E5/A3/A5 or Windows 10 Enterprise with Software Assurance licenses in their subscription or ISVs building Windows 10 commercial apps are eligible to submit a request for assistance. Customers and ISVs must be targeting a Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus or Office Perpetual version that is currently within their respective servicing period (including the Long-Term Servicing Branch).
No. Eligibility is based on Windows 10 licenses. That said, if we’re going to help fix a compatibility issue with Office 365 ProPlus that occurred as a result of moving to Windows 10 or when updating Office, it has to be either a (i) supported version of Office 365 Pro Plus or (ii) Office Perpetual in mainstream support.
Eligibility requires 150 licenses or more of one of the following:
- Windows 10 E3/E5.
- Windows 10 Education A3/A5.
- Windows 10 Enterprise with Software Assurance.
- Microsoft 365 E3/E5.
- Microsoft 365 Education A3/A5.
Yes, App Assure is available to public sector, federal, and Department of Defense (DoD) customers. The requirements and process to engage remain the same for App Assure. The customer must submit a request for assistance here.
App Assure supports Office 365 ProPlus, Office 2016, and Office 2019 while they are in mainstream support on Windows 10.
The Microsoft Trust Center is your one-stop resource for detail on security, privacy, compliance, and transparency. Visit the Trust Center here
The following support is available for customer-developed line-of-business (LoB) apps and third-party apps developed by ISVs.
For customer-developed LoB apps:
- Diagnosing apps to determine a root cause and fixing an app. If customer source code is available, Microsoft engineers will work with the app developer and recommend code changes for the app. The customer is accountable for implementing recommendations in their own source code.
- Shimming and packaging apps to remediate compatibility issues.
- Addressing Windows 10 regressions impacting app compatibility.
For third-party ISV apps:
- Diagnosing apps to determine a root cause and fix for an app and partnering with ISVs to remediate their apps.
- Addressing Windows 10 regressions impacting app compatibility.
- Engaging ISVs to onboard them to Windows 10 and secure Windows 10 support statements.
Yes, third-party ISV Office add-ins are in scope and supported by App Assure.
No. There are no restrictions to the number of apps that can be submitted. However, we encourage you to prioritize your top apps to focus on initially.
There are no limitations on package type for App Assure.
No. The App Assure team will only repackage apps that first require remediation for Windows 10. We can refer customers to several qualified Microsoft partners who offer this service.
When we remediate a customer's app, we can repackage the app in one of the following formats: APPX, App-V, MSI, EXE, and MSIX (when available).
Customers must be targeting a Windows 10 version that is within its serviceability period. Get Windows 10 Release information here.
The following types of app readiness are not supported:
- App inventory and testing to determine what does and does not work on Windows 10. See Modern Desktop Assessment for assistance with inventory and validation of your apps.
- Researching third-party ISV apps for their Windows 10 compatibility and support statements. See Ready for Windows for a list of software solutions that are supported or adopted on Windows 10 and Office365 ProPlus.
- Code-level changes to an app (though we can provide guidance to developers if source code and resources are available).
Office add-ins and VBA macros are in scope for App Assure.
Customers may submit a request for assistance by signing into FastTrack and completing the App Assure service request.
ISVs may submit a request for assistance by signing into FastTrack, navigating to the “Services” tab, and selecting “App Assure” under the list of current services. Under requestor, ISVs should specify that they are a commercial ISV and are seeking assistance for a third-party app rather than on behalf of a customer.
You can engage a partner to assist with a Modern Desktop Assessment. Apply here. This program is available through June 30, 2019.
In addition, Windows Analytics is a set of solutions that can provide customers with extensive data about the state of devices in their environment. Windows Analytics Upgrade Readiness offers a set of tools to plan and manage the upgrade process end to end, allowing customers to adopt new Windows releases more quickly. Upgrade Readiness not only supports upgrade management from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but also Windows 10 upgrades in the Windows as a Service (WaaS) model. Similarly, the Office Readiness Toolkit offers these capabilities for Office 365 ProPlus.
Desktop Analytics is a cloud-based service that integrates with Configuration Manager to provide intelligence for making informed decisions about the update readiness of your Windows clients. It combines data from your organization with data aggregated from millions of devices connected to Microsoft cloud services.
The Microsoft Security Update Validation Program (SUVP) provides early access to Microsoft security updates—up to three weeks in advance of the official release—for the purpose of validation and interoperability testing.
Yes, the App Assure service will provide assistance to ISVs that are experiencing compatibility issues with Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus including early releases being developed for Windows 10.
There is no limit on the number of apps for App Assure.
To support a no-cost app readiness service, the App Assure service leverages one or a combination of the following methods for app diagnosis and remediation:
- Microsoft supports the customer remotely to help deploy diagnostic and troubleshooting tools to collect app error logs. Similar to a typical support engagement, Microsoft will analyze the results and make recommended changes to remediate the app.
- The customer shares the app installer with Microsoft. Microsoft deploys the installer in a Microsoft lab environment where we have already deployed our diagnostic and remediation tools.
- The customer provides VPN access to a test environment to Microsoft engineers. Microsoft will deploy our diagnostic and remediation tools and perform the remediation work within the customer's environment.
Once a customer has submitted a request for assistance, a App Assure manager will reach out to the customer within 24 hours. App diagnosis and remediation times however will vary significantly based on several factors including:
- The complexity of the issue.
- The responsiveness of third-party ISVs.
- The customer's availability to engage with Microsoft to provide app details.
- The model through which remediation work is done (VPN or Microsoft labs).
We will decide if it is appropriate to define a service level agreement and communicate estimated response times once we have more data from customer engagements.
The App Assure service team provides different tiers of support and are located worldwide to support each local region. They provide support in local business hours, Monday through Friday.
App Assure managers are FastTrack resources assigned to an account. They own the relationship with the customer across app remediation requests, and they help to engage the right engineering resources to resolve app compatibility issues. This relationship may span multiple requests, across multiple apps, and involve engagements with multiple engineering groups. The intent is to provide a streamlined experience where the customer won’t have to repeatedly explain the circumstances in their journey to upgrade, resolve app compatibility issues, and adopt Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus.
App compatibility issues are typically resolved through a process of diagnosing the root cause and identifying steps to remediate the issue. The most common resolution types are:
Updating third-party ISV apps to a supported version of the app.
Applying hotfixes already available publicly.
App code changes.
- Windows OS bug fixes.
Shims provides a proxy to deliver necessary functions to address legacy software behavior. This changes how an app interacts with the operating system. It’s not a change to the app software itself. Shims are then published to a central library where all app clients can access it to resolve the problem.
FastTrack for Microsoft 365
FastTrack for Microsoft 365 provides IT pros customized guidance for onboarding and adopting Microsoft 365 including access to Microsoft engineering expertise, best practices, tools, and resources. Included in your eligible Microsoft 365 subscriptions, FastTrack helps customers migrate data, enable effective teamwork, protect the organization from cybersecurity threats, and help keep your devices and apps up to date.
Our guides walk you through setting up the services you want to use. You select the features and options you want to deploy, and the guides build a step-by-step setup plan customized to your needs. You'll get a full set of instructions, videos, reference articles, and scripts. Some guides include automation that will change some of your settings, while in other areas of the guide you can change your settings and data to guide you. The guides are available anytime here, even during planning or after you've already set up the services, to learn more about Microsoft 365 features and options. In addition, you can use the guides to prepare your environment and set up email, Exchange Online Protection, Windows 10 with Office 365, SharePoint, Office ProPlus, OneDrive for Business, Azure AD Connect, Azure AD Basic and Premium, Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Groups, Skype for Business, Yammer, and StaffHub.
You can keep track of Microsoft 365 FastTrack engagements by logging in to FastTrack and viewing My Customer Dashboard. The dashboard, available to Microsoft users and partners, provides account-specific guidance based on where the customer is in their adoption journey.
Education customers can leverage the digital experience of fasttrack.microsoft.com like all other customers. Refer to FastTrack service subscription for eligibility requirements. Data migration is only available for faculty and staff (paid) seats, not student-use benefit seats. In addition, FastTrack can refer customers to Education specialists—use the Request for Assistance specific to education customers to receive a referral.
FastTrack for Azure
FastTrack for Azure is currently available to eligible Azure customers located in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or Western Europe (delivery is in English only).
The length of engagement varies depending on your needs. Eligible customers can engage FastTrack for Azure resources for one or more of the supported Azure solutions as indicated on the roadmap.
No. FastTrack for Azure guides customers through setup, configuration, development, and production of Azure solutions remotely. It is available to eligible customers at no cost.
The main phases of a typical FastTrack for Azure engagement are:
No, FastTrack for Azure engagement is delivered remotely.
Yes. FastTrack for Azure is available to eligible customers in both Azure commercial cloud and Azure Government cloud.
If you are already working with a partner, Microsoft Consulting Services, or Premier Services, the FastTrack team will engage with you and partner to ensure you both have the resources needed to successfully deploy Azure solution(s). If you are not already working with a partner, we can connect you to a FastTrack for Azure partner who can assist with your deployment needs.
FastTrack for Azure provides customers with resources, tools, and access to experts (Azure engineers and partners) to help deploy Azure solutions into production for those projects that are estimated to consume USD5,000 (or local equivalent) per month of Azure services. Activate Azure is a four-day, on-site engagement with a Microsoft Services Engineer aimed at deploying the initial, low-friction Azure workload through proof of concept activities. A customer eligible for FastTrack for Azure should be beyond an Activate Azure engagement. For more information, please work with your account team to determine which program is best for you.
FastTrack for Dynamics 365
FastTrack content and sessions are in English. As the program evolves, we will evaluate adding additional languages.