Read My World
an app for Android
Thanks for the feedback!
Read My World, a Microsoft Garage project is an Android application for low literacy and English Language Learning adults (ELL) who want to improve their English literacy skills by building a stronger vocabulary. Leveraging Microsoft’s Cognitive Services, including Computer Vision APIs, Read My World helps people learn new vocabulary from the world around them every day.
English learners can identify with objects around them by taking photos of items and allowing Computer Vision APIs to detect and identify the object. Using syllabification and text to speech features, the user can hear and see the spelling of the object as a vocabulary word, then add it to a personal dictionary for practice later. Thereby, expanding their vocabulary in the world around them.
Key features include:
- Take a photo to identify an object from a library of over 1500 vocabulary words
- Take a photo to identify vocab words in documents or other written mediums
- See the spelling and hear the phonetic pronunciation of identified vocab words
- Save photos with corresponding identified word to a personal dictionary for later reference
- Practice saved words with any of three vocabulary games
If your organization supports literacy and you’d like to try and share feedback on Read My World, request an invitation to join via this short questionnaire and the team will be in touch.
Meet the team
Amanda Lazar, Celine Liu, Ioana Bruj, Justin Mah, Kate MacDonald, Kit Weir, Nancy Jiang, and Nicole Joyal