Deliver knowledge in context with topic cards surfaced across Outlook, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Search, and other apps in Microsoft 365.
See topics in context
Learn more about topics—such as projects, products, customers, and industries—in context as they appear across the apps in Microsoft 365 you use every day.
Quickly learn more about a topic
Hover over a topic highlight to see a topic card with a brief description, relevant experts, and files—all without leaving your app.
Dive deeper into a topic
Expand the topic card to see the topic page and get even more information including a full description, acronyms, conversations, and related topics, people, and files.
Get a dashboard view with topic details
Visit the topic center to review your topic connections and manage knowledge across your organization.
Bring together relevant content, conversations, links, and expertise from across your organization.
Enable AI-powered content indexing
Index the sites you select in the Microsoft Cloud and external sources with Microsoft Graph content connectors.
Automate topic identification
Automatically categorize knowledge into common subjects such as projects and products, and extract topic definitions, acronyms, and alternate names.
Connect topics, people, and resources
Use AI-powered features in Viva to generate topic pages with a description, related content, and relevant people—then update the pages as new information becomes available.
Orchestrate knowledge delivery using taxonomy
Identify topics using processes and document tagging in Microsoft Syntex.
Content curation and organization
Enable experts across your organization to revise topics, pin resources, and identify other experts while Viva Topics learns and makes updates.
Manage AI-generated and manually added topics
Start in the topic center to create, edit, delete, and reject topics generated by AI and to manually add new topics.
Manage access to topics
Control who has permission to view, create, edit, and manage topics. Enjoy multilevel content security with Microsoft information protection.
Edit topic pages
Revise descriptions, confirm suggested people and resources and pin them, and add web parts and adaptive cards.
Discoverable topics across Microsoft 365 apps
Offer a seamless experience across Microsoft 365, with topics discoverable in the apps you use every day.
Get the Viva Topics app for Microsoft Teams
Enable quick access to the topic center where your users can confirm suggested topics and get other Viva tools—all without leaving Teams.
Discover topics on SharePoint
Surface topic highlights, topic cards, and topic pages on SharePoint pages, hubs, and news stories.
Add and discover topics with hashtags
Attach topic cards to any message in Outlook with hashtags so recipients can view topic cards and suggested additional topics in the message pane.
An animation of an expert being selected from a dropdown of a Topic in SharePoint.
Connect with experts
Connect with experts directly from topic cards and topic pages. Hover over a name to open their people card and send them a message or set up a meeting.
Management and administration
Generate and show topics only from the content users are allowed to see, based on your security and privacy settings in Microsoft 365.
Get peace of mind with coverage by Microsoft 365 Security
Manage what AI-generated content is shown to your users with existing content security features in Microsoft 365, as well as administrative controls.
Keep sensitive information under wraps
Restrict access to content with Microsoft Purview Information Protection sensitivity labels.
See Viva Topics in action
Features and pricing
Microsoft Viva in Microsoft 365
Some employee experience features are included in Microsoft 365 plans for enterprise.
Microsoft Viva Topics
Originally starting from $4.00 now starting from $4.00
(Annual subscription—auto renews)1
All the employee experience features included in Microsoft 365, plus:
Topic cards, pages, and centers
Search and discovery
Management and administration
Microsoft Viva Suite
Originally starting from $12.00 now starting from $12.00
(Annual subscription—auto renews)1
Everything in Viva Topics, plus:
Support for multiple company-branded employee destinations for news and announcements in Viva Connections
Viva Engage leadership and knowledge experiences to help connect everyone across your organization
Centralized campaign management for multichannel publishing with Viva Amplify
Viva Insights to improve productivity and wellbeing with data-driven, privacy-protected insights
Organization-wide “voice of the employee” surveys in Viva Glint
Quick surveys to help managers seek and act on feedback with Viva Pulse
Viva Goals to stay aligned at scale, focus teams on impact, and bring goals into the flow of everyday work
Viva Learning to seamlessly integrate access to learning content into the places employees already spend their time
Frequently asked questions
Viva Topics applies AI to identify knowledge and expertise from across your organization and curate it into shared topics such as products, customers, or projects. With immersive topic cards and topic pages, knowledge finds you in the context of your teams, projects, and documents. AI and humans work together to improve knowledge and surface it in the apps you use every day.
Anyone viewing, accessing, or curating topic cards, topic pages, or topic centers, or otherwise benefiting from Viva Topics capabilities requires a license. This includes the following user scenarios:
- Discovering topics through topic highlights on a SharePoint page
- Opening a topic card to view and select related team members, resources, and topics
- Opening and viewing a topic page
- Creating a new topic
- Curating a topic by updating the description, adding additional resources, and suggesting team members
- Managing mined and added topics for accuracy and relevance
- Viva Topics uses AI to help organize and categorize content across your organization, making it easier for people to find and share knowledge without even having to search for it.
- Use Copilot in Viva Topics to, get up to speed faster on a specific topic by generating a summary and offering answers based on multiple documents related to the topic.
- Ask Copilot questions such as, “How does this project relate to other projects in my organization?” or “Who are the experts related to this topic?”
- Access Copilot from the Topics Page to see details about the project and improve the topic with support from next-generation AI. Ask questions or select a prepopulated question from the side bar.
- Ask to help improve a topic page and get a few suggestions. Copilot will generate recommendations.
- Create language-specific versions of a topic. Copilot will translate the page and use all available sources to generate content that’s applicable to that language.
Viva Topics can index Loops. Highlighting support will be included in future updates.
Viva Topics focuses on knowledge discovery and Syntex helps organizations with document processing and content management. Syntex can automatically tag documents and attach sensitivity labels, making content more easily discovered through Viva Topics.
Viva Topics uses AI to automatically search for and identify topics and compile information about a topic into a single, customizable topic page. It uses Copilot to generate summaries and information about that topic. Answers in Viva uses Viva Topics to connect people’s questions to relevant answers, and helps recommend responses, loop in experts, match questions and answers, and summarize long threads.
Yes, Viva Topics is available on the Government cloud.
Yes, Topics has a full set of admin controls. It ships turned off by default so you’re able to plot the right adoption journey for your organization.
Viva Topics is based on the security and compliance boundaries of content enforced across Microsoft 365. For example, access, retention labels, data sovereignty, and information barriers are all maintained consistently before and after the activation of Viva Topics. In addition, organizations can apply restrictions on the scope and availability of topic information shared by Viva Topics.
Viva Topics is built on the security and compliance of content enforced across Microsoft 365. For example, access, retention labels, data sovereignty and information barriers are all maintained consistently before and after the activation of Viva Topics. In addition, organizations can apply even more stringent restrictions on the scope and availability of topic information shared by Viva Topics.
- Administrators will be able to control the scope of content that will be used for topic discovery and which users can view, edit, and manage topics.
- Administrators can also control what content is included in Viva Topics based on selected sites, teams, or labels. Only licensed users have access to topic cards, topic pages, and topic centers.
Viva Topics will only display content to people who have permission to view it. If someone sees a file in Viva Topics that they’re not intended to see, then the content owner must update the permissions at source.
There are two ways to generate topics. Users can create topics manually, and AI can detect and generate topics automatically. Once a topic is created, AI will update the topic and related resources as it discovers new information. For manually created topics, AI will attempt to add additional content based on the topic’s context. In addition, users can also manually update topic cards and pages to adjust the topic description or highlight new resources and connections. These scenarios illustrate how machine learning and human curation together can build a better experience for end users.
- Microsoft Graph helps supply insights about content and knowledge throughout Microsoft 365. Viva Topics builds on top of Microsoft Graph to create your knowledge network. Viva Topics supports new user experiences for knowledge, such as content integration via Microsoft Search and knowledge sharing via the topic center and topic cards.
- Microsoft Graph provides a consistent API for addressing Microsoft 365 data and personalized insights. It’s used throughout the suite in places such as Microsoft Search and OneDrive suggested files.
- We’re developing a set of APIs which will allow customers to highlight topics and show topic cards in applications beyond Microsoft 365. This is an essential ingredient in allowing other Microsoft application teams and our ISV partners to build integrations into Viva.
While Viva Topics will work most optimally for organizations using Microsoft 365 as their content management system, we understand that topics and knowledge exist outside of Microsoft 365. Content connectors and APIs are available—and more are being developed—to help customers integrate the information from other systems into the Microsoft Graph.
Connectors and topics help you offer a more holistic view of the organization’s knowledge. Bring information into your Microsoft apps through topic cards and make connections between content in Microsoft 365 and content coming from external sources.
Learn more about Microsoft Graph content connectors, including how to use them and build your own.
Viva Topics discovers topics from files and pages stored in modern or classic sites. However, topic highlights will only appear on modern SharePoint pages. These pages may exist in a modern type of site such as a communication site or a group site connected to a Team. In addition classic sites that have had modern pages added will also feature topic highlights.
Because Viva Topics uses SharePoint, we want you to be able to use all the customization features available with SharePoint, so you not only populate what you want in your knowledge center but also use the branding that's appropriate for your organization.
Implementation and support
See how to get started using Viva Topics in your organization.
Access adoption and training resources to help you start using Viva Topics.
Find Viva Topics help and learning content for employees.
Get help enabling Microsoft Viva and the foundational capabilities in Microsoft 365 that support employee experience.
Learn more about Viva Topics with demos, case studies, white papers, and other resources.
Knowledge sharing and management
Learn more about information access, resilience, and cost savings in hybrid work environments.
Find partners to accelerate your journey with Viva.
Get started with Viva Topics
Empower people and teams to be their best
Viva Topics is part of Microsoft Viva, the employee experience platform designed to help people connect, focus, learn, and thrive at work.
-  Cancellation policies for paid subscriptions may vary based on factors such as your customer status, your product, and your domain selections on Microsoft. You may cancel your subscription at any time in the Microsoft 365 admin center. Certain subscriptions may incur a cancellation fee. Learn how to cancel your Microsoft 365 subscription. When a subscription is canceled, all associated data will be deleted. Learn more about data retention, deletion, and destruction in Microsoft 365.