Aliases: No associated aliases
Windows Defender detects and removes this threat.
This threat uses a to download and run files on your , including other malware. It is also called the "".vulnerabilityPCMSCOMCTL.OCX RCE Vulnerability
It runs if you visit a web site, use a Microsoft document or .rtf file (Word document), and have a vulnerable version of the following applications on your PC:Office
It is most often distributed through emails.
You may get an alert about this threat even if you're not using a vulnerable version of the application. This is because we detect when a website or file tries to use the vulnerability, even if it isn't successful.
- BizTalk Server 2002 SP1
- Commerce Server 2002 SP4, 2007 SP2, and 2009 Gold, and R2
- Microsoft Office 2003 SP3
- Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components SP3
- Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 and SP3
- Microsoft Office 2010 Gold and SP1
- SQL Server 2000 SP4, 2005 SP4, and 2008 SP2, SP3, and R2
- Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime
- Visual FoxPro 8.0 SP1 and 9.0 SP2
Use the following free software to detect and remove this threat:Microsoft
You should also run a full scan. A full scan might find other, hidden malware.
You should make sure your software is up to date:
If you’re using , see our .Windows XPWindows XP end of support page