Aliases: Fake_AntiSpyware.BKN (AVG) Win32/FakeAV.ACR (CA) Win32/Adware.PrivacyComponents (ESET) not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.PrivacyCenter (other) not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Agent.jn (Kaspersky) FakeAlert-CP (McAfee) Troj/PrvCnt-Gen (Sophos) SpywareGuard2008 (Symantec) Control Center (other) Privacy Center (other)
Windows Defender detects and removes this threat.
Rogue:Win32/PrivacyCenter is a family of rogues that claims to scan for malware and displays fake warnings of “malicious programs and viruses”. They then inform the user that they need to pay money to register the software in order to remove these non-existent threats.
Find out more about rogues from our .Rogue information page
The following free software detects and removes this threat:Microsoft
Even if we've already detected and removed this particular threat, running a full scan might find other malware that is hiding on your .PC
You can also see our for more help.advanced troubleshooting page
If you’re using , see our .Windows XPWindows XP end of support page
This threat might make lasting changes to your 's settings that won't be restored when it's cleaned. The following steps can help change these settings back to what you want:PC
- Windows Defender Antivirus Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Microsoft Security Essentials Windows 7 Windows Vista for , or for and
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
- Restore my system registry:
- Reset settingsInternet Explorer
- For other support and help related articles, go to:
- Microsoft Security TechNet Center