Explore ways to modernize your on-premises, hybrid, and cloud workloads—on your own timeline—at the Windows Server Summit on December 6. Register now
Windows Server solutions across cloud and on-premises
Windows Server on Azure
Access unique innovation, only on Azure:
- Deploy security updates without having to reboot with Hotpatch.
- Migrate Windows Server workloads to Azure while preserving on-premises IP addresses.
- Securely access files when working remotely without a VPN, using built-in SMB over QUIC.
Windows Server 2022
Run business-critical workloads with Windows Server 2022:
- Apply advanced multi-layer protection against threats with secured-core server.
- Run business critical workloads such as SQL Server with confidence using 48TB of memory, 64 sockets, and 2048 logical cores.
- Use Windows Admin Center for improved VM management, enhanced event viewer, and to connect to Azure through Azure Arc.
Windows Server & Azure Arc
Extend your datacenter to Azure for greater IT efficiency:
- Manage, secure, and govern your servers with Azure Arc.
- Utilize Azure Stack HCI as a fabric to run your traditional Windows Server workloads.
- Use Azure Kubernetes Service on Azure Stack HCI and Windows Server to modernize with container-based applications.
Your trusted operating system for 30 years
Windows Server is the platform for building an infrastructure of connected applications, networks, and web services. As a Windows Server administrator, you’ve helped achieve your business’ goals keeping the infrastructure secure, available, and flexible. Windows Server has been the foundation of Microsoft’s ecosystem and continues to power the hybrid cloud network today.
File servers are the most common servers in the world
Windows Server File Servers host billions of files across million of customers for storage and retrieval of files with built-in scale. Security, quotas, backup, replication, and recovery are all built into the operating system.
Active Directory Domain Services on Windows Server is the most popular on-premises identity solution
Active Directory Domain Services hosts and authenticates billions of on-premises user identities across millions of customers to securely manage identity and protect your business.
Hosting applications old and new
Windows Server hosts millions of apps, from simple IIS web apps to complex apps like SharePoint, Exchange, database, and 3rd party products with integrated security, high availability, and replication across servers and clusters.
Hosts Windows and Linux Virtual Machines and Containers
Hosts virtual machines on Hyper-V through Windows Server containers, Linux containers, and Kubernetes clusters with integration into native Azure services.
Integrated DNS and DHCP services
Providing on-premises DNS and DHCP services for millions of customers.
See how customers use Windows Server and Azure to realize their potential
Running a $15 billion business on Windows Server
Smithfield Foods uses a hybrid cloud approach to cut datacenter costs and deliver new applications faster.
Support lifecycles for versions of Windows Server
2008 / 2008 R2
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates began on January 14, 2020. On-premises licenses for Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates end on January 14, 2023. Free Extended Security Updates will be available for customers on Azure, which includes Azure Virtual Machines, SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Dedicated Host, Azure VMWare Solutions, Azure Nutanix Solution, and Azure Stack HCI.
2012 / 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 Extended Support will end on October 10, 2023. Customers who migrate workloads to Azure will have access to Extended Security Updates for both SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 for three years after the End of Support dates for no additional charge above the cost of running the virtual machine. Eligible customers will be able to purchase Extended Security Updates for their on-premises environment.
Azure Hybrid Benefit
Azure Hybrid Benefit is a licensing benefit that helps you to significantly reduce the costs of running your Windows Server workloads in the cloud. It works by letting you use your on-premises Software Assurance-enabled Windows Server and SQL Server licenses on Azure. Get 180 days of dual-use rights between on-premises and the cloud.
Get the most out of Windows Server 2022
Advanced multilayer security
- Harden server communications – industry standard SMB AES -256 encryption and better controls.
- Get preventative defense for sensitive assets like credentials with Credential Guard and Secure Boot enabled using TPM 2.0.
- Protect system integrity from firmware attack with Windows Defender System Guard and isolate critical parts of the system with Virtualization-based security.
Hybrid capabilities with Azure Arc
- Extend Azure management and governance services to Windows Server on-premises using Azure Arc.
- Perform virtual machine (VM) lifecycle management for your Azure Stack HCI and VMware environments from a centralized location.
- Bring the first cloud native SIEM to all your resources by using Microsoft Sentinel through Azure Arc.
Flexible application platform
- Improve container application deployment with smaller image size for faster download and simplified authentication.
- Scale containerized applications with Kubernetes using improvements in network policy implementation and integration with industry standard containers.
- Accelerate modernization of .NET applications.
Invest in your career and skills
Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate
Keep the Windows Server knowledge you have while learning the future of hybrid cloud computing. Earn the Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate certification for managing Windows Server on-premises, hybrid, and IaaS platform workloads.
Share this page