What’s included in the free version of Teams
Get unlimited chat, video calling, file sharing, storage, and more—for as long as you want.
Up to 500K users
Communicate and collaborate with teams large and small.
Choose what you show in a chat or meeting: your desktop, a specific app, a presentation, or a file.
Eliminate distractions and ensure meetings run smoothly with background blur.
Grant people outside your organization access to existing teams and channels in Teams.
Access, share, and edit Word docs, PowerPoint, and Excel files in real time.
Share files with colleagues and work on them together.
More than 250 integrated apps and services
Bring the apps and services you love into Teams to create your organization’s hub for teamwork.
Security and compliance
Help keep information secure with Microsoft Teams data encryption at rest and in transit.
Get the full-featured version of Teams for new users in your organization with one of the following offers.
Small and medium business
Sign up for a free one-month trial of Microsoft 365 Business Standard, including a full version of Teams.1
US government institutions
Contact a Microsoft rep for a free six-month trial of Office 365 G1, including a full version of Teams.3
Offers for education and nonprofit
Learn more about Microsoft Teams
Get started with Teams free training
You’ve created a team! Use these videos and resources to get started.
Watch some quick videos that answer frequently asked questions about Teams.
Tips and tricks
Try these helpful tips and tricks to get started with Teams.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! The free version of Teams includes the following:
- Unlimited chat messages and search.
- Built-in audio and video calling for individuals, groups, and full team meetups.
- 10 GB of team file storage plus 2 GB per person for personal storage.
- Integrated real-time content creation with Office apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- Unlimited app integrations with 250+ business apps to choose from, including Adobe, Evernote, and Trello.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with anyone inside or outside your organization, backed by Microsoft’s secure, global infrastructure.
No, your account will not expire.
Several Teams features are only available in the paid version in Microsoft 365. The full-featured, paid version of Teams includes:
- Additional storage, with plans starting at 1 TB file storage per user.
- Rich file collaboration in the Office desktop apps.
- Meeting scheduling and intelligent video capabilities.
- Additional first- and third-party app integrations.
- Advanced IT controls.
- Enterprise-level security and compliance.
The individual who created the tenant (i.e., the person who signed up for the free version of Teams) can upgrade directly from the Teams free product by clicking on your profile in the top left-hand corner. Upgrading from the free version of Microsoft Teams also unlocks the full set of Teams capabilities, including scheduled meetings, calendar, 1 TB of file storage, and advanced administration features.
Yes. Customers who purchase Microsoft 365 Business Standard or Business Basic directly from the free version of Teams will not lose any data. Customers needing to purchase Microsoft 365 enterprise plans can work with some of our trusted partners to migrate their data to their new paid plan.
Anyone with any corporate or consumer email address can sign up for Teams today. People who don’t already have a paid Microsoft 365 commercial subscription will have access to the free version of Teams. If a user at an existing Microsoft 365 commercial customer tries to sign up for free, they will be routed into the managed Teams experience for their organization. If the user doesn’t yet have a license for Teams as part of their organization’s Microsoft 365 plan, they will be routed to the Microsoft Teams Exploratory experience for free until January 2021. Learn more about Microsoft Teams Exploratory experience.
1. Small and medium business: Offer available to small- and medium-sized businesses up to 300 users who haven’t activated any other Office 365 Business Premium or Microsoft 365 Business Standard trials. After your one-month free trial, you’ll be charged the applicable subscription fee. Credit card required. Cancel before your free subscription expires to stop future charges. Learn more about what’s included with Microsoft 365 Business Standard.
2. Enterprise: Limited-time offer is available to any customer managed by a Microsoft account rep. Offer is for organizations, including qualified nonprofits to cover volunteers, that haven't activated any other Office 365 E1 trials in the past. Learn more about the offer details and what’s included with Office 365 E1.
3. US government institutions: Limited-time offer available to US government institutions that operate in the GCC cloud and are managed by a Microsoft account rep and have not activated any other Office 365 G1 trails in the past. This offer is not available for commercial, GCC High, DoD, or EDU customers. Learn more about the offer details and what’s included in Office 365 G1.
4. Partner-managed customers: New customers can get Teams for the first six months free with an annual commitment of Microsoft 365 Business Basic, for up to 300 users, or Office 365 E1, for up to 3,000 users. Cancel before the end of your commitment to stop future charges. Also, a free six-month CSP Teams Trial is available for existing Office 365 Exchange Online standalone customers with no annual commitment required, limited to 3,000 users. Talk with a Microsoft partner to learn more.
5. Accredited academic institutions: Get your entire school signed up for free with Office 365 A1, which includes Microsoft Teams. Learn more about what’s included with Office 365 A1 for your students and for teachers, faculty, and staff.
6. Nonprofit organizations: Eligible nonprofit organizations can qualify for donated offers of Microsoft 365 Business Premium or Office 365 E1, which include Microsoft Teams, depending on the organization size. These are permitted only for use by Paid Staff and Unpaid Executive Staff. Organizations needing licenses for volunteers should leverage the limited-time Enterprise Office 365 E1 offer. User amount limits do apply and vary by availability of country of usage.