Warning message... Link to action
Informational message... Link to action
Aliases: No associated aliases
Microsoft security software detects and removes this threat.
This threat uses a software vulnerability to download and run other files on your PC, including malware.
It runs when you visit a hacked website and you have a vulnerable version of Java. A number of legitimate websites could be hacked to unwillingly host this threat.
The following versions of Java are vulnerable:
- Oracle Java JDK and JRE 7 Update 5 and earlier
- JRE 6 Update 34 and earlier
To check if you're running a vulnerable version of Java:
- Go to the control panel (Select Start then Control Panel)
- Select Programs. If Java is installed you will see it in the list of installed programs. Click it to open the Java Control Panel.
- On the General tab, click About to see which version of Java you have installed.
You might get a detection for this threat when you visit a website that has the malicious code, even if you're not using a vulnerable version of Java. This doesn't mean that you have been compromised; it means an attempt to hack into your PC has been made.
The vulnerability that this threat exploits is described in CVE-2012-4681.