Where your data is located
As a customer of Microsoft business services, you know where your data is stored.
Customer data may be replicated within a selected geographic area for enhanced data durability in case of a major data center disaster, and in some cases, will not be replicated outside it.
Microsoft also complies with international data protection laws regarding transfers of customer data across borders. For example:
- To allow for the continuous flow of information required by international business (including the cross-border transfer of personal data), many Microsoft business cloud services offer customers EU Standard Contractual Clauses that provide additional contractual guarantees around transfers of personal data for in-scope cloud services. Our implementation of the EU Model Clauses has been validated by EU data protection authorities as being in line with the rigorous privacy standards that regulate international data transfers by companies operating in its member states.
- In addition to our commitments under the Standard Contractual Clauses and other model contracts, Microsoft is certified to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from the EU to the United States. Microsoft participation in the Privacy Shield applies to all personal data that is subject to the Microsoft Privacy Statement and is received from the EU, European Economic Area, and Switzerland. Microsoft also abides by Swiss data protection law regarding the processing of personal data from the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
- Microsoft will not transfer to any third party (not even for storage purposes) data that you provide to Microsoft through the use of our business cloud services that are covered under the Microsoft Online Services Terms.
Note that no matter where customer data is stored, Microsoft does not control or limit the locations from which customers or their end users may access their data.
Here are details on data residency and transfer policies specific to Microsoft cloud services:
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory
- Microsoft Professional Services
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Customer Service
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Field Service
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Marketing
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Sales
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Talent
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Social Engagement
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft Power BI
- Azure DevOps Services
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection