Privacy at Microsoft
Our customers own and control their data
You own and control your data
Microsoft understands that when you, our customer, use our business cloud services, you are entrusting us with your most valuable asset—your data. You trust that its privacy will be protected and that it will be used only in a way that is consistent with your expectations.
Our time-tested approach to privacy is grounded in our commitment to give you control over the collection, use, and distribution of your customer data. We are transparent about the specific policies, operational practices, and technologies that help ensure the privacy of your data in Microsoft business cloud services.
The Trust Center site provides legal and compliance teams with a comprehensive repository of information resources designed to help them understand and verify the compliance requirements of their organization’s cloud deployments.
- You know how we manage your data. We use your customer data only to provide the services we have agreed upon, and do not mine it for marketing or advertising. If you leave the service, Microsoft follows strict standards and specific processes for removing data from our systems.
- You know where your data is located. Customers who must maintain their data in a specific geographic location, such as within the EU, can rely on our expanding network of datacenters around the world. Microsoft also complies with international data protection laws regarding transfers of customer data across borders.
- You know who can access your data and on what terms. We take strong measures to protect your data from inappropriate access, including limits for Microsoft personnel and subcontractors. However, you can access your own customer data at any time and for any reason.
- You know how we respond to government and law enforcement requests to access your customer data.
- We set and adhere to stringent privacy standards. Strong contractual commitments back our privacy standards and best practices.
Keep up to date with GDPR compliance
Register for the Safeguarding individual privacy rights with the Microsoft Cloud webcast to find out which tools and services help strengthen protection, plus how Microsoft 365 helps safeguard your data.