Custom Translator SMT Model FAQ
The Microsoft Translator team will be undeploying all SMT models in Custom Translator after May 14, 2021. The most important action for our customers is to download and save documents for language pairs that are currently not supported in Custom Translator.
There are two options for SMT model undeployments:
- You can choose to undeploy your SMT model after you save the necessary documents.
- You can leave the SMT model and we will undeploy it after May 14.
Before you begin undeploying your SMT model, read this FAQ.
Q. Why do we need to undeploy our SMT models in Custom Translator?
A. We are no longer able to sustain the cost of supporting SMT model deployments and will start to undeploy remaining SMT models after the deadline.
Q. What happens if a SMT model is not undeployed by May 14, 2021?
A. After the deadline, Microsoft will undeploy all remaining SMT models. The SMT model can no longer be re-deployed.
– For language pairs not currently supported by Custom Translator: All model artifacts (documents, data, binaries, configuration, projects etc.) will be deleted permanently from Microsoft’s servers. It will not be possible to recover any model artifacts after deletion.
– For language pairs currently supported by Custom Translator: Documents will be retained however all other artifacts (data, binaries, configuration, projects etc.) will be deleted permanently from Microsoft’s servers. It will not be possible to recover any model artifacts after deletion.
Q. Who is authorized to undeploy SMT models before May 14?
A. Any user with Editor or Owner permissions can undeploy an SMT model.
Q. If I choose to undeploy my SMT model, what do I need to do?
A. There are two steps:
1. Download and save documents for language pairs not supported in Custom Translator.
2. Undeploy the SMT model.
The most crucial step is Step 1. If you don’t take Step 2, Microsoft will undeploy the SMT model along with all associated artifacts after May 14, 2021.
Q. What do I do with the documents for supported language pairs in Custom Translator?
A. If a SMT model is not undeployed by May 14, Microsoft will undeploy and delete the SMT model. Microsoft will delete documents for language pairs currently not support in Custom Translator. We will keep documents for currently supported language pairs.
– Language pair documents that will be deleted: English to Basque; German to French
– Language pair documents Microsoft will keep: Slovenian to English; English to Chinese Traditional
The Slovenian to English and English to Chinese Traditional documents in the example will remain in the workspace because they are supported language pairs currently in Custom Translator. We encourage you to train a new Custom Translator model using these documents. If you train the model in the same project you can deploy it without any service interruptions. Endpoint and Category ID stays the same as the SMT model.
Q. Where do I find SMT models in Custom Translator to download and save the documents?
A. Your SMT models will have a model status of ‘Hub Deployed’. You can download the documents used to train your SMT model originally by navigating to your Projects page. This will lead you to the Training Details page which displays all documents used to train the model. On this page, you can download each document.
Q. Is undeploying an SMT model any different from undeploying a Custom Translator model?
A. There is only a single region available for SMT models, unlike non-SMT models. You will not need to select the region to undeploy.
Q. My documents are supported using standard translations but not in Custom Translator, will they be deleted after May 14?
Q. Will there be any leftover data or evidence of my data when the documents are deleted?
A. The documents for language pairs not supported in Custom Translator will be removed permanently from all Azure resources without a trace.
Q. Can I build new models using the documents in Custom Translator?
A. Yes, if the language pair is supported in Custom Translator. If you are not familiar with creating models in Custom Translator, please refer to our QuickStart video and documentation for more information.