Create the next generation of apps and games with this best-in-class full feature development environment.
Windows 10 PCs
Get the ultimate in performance, security, and reliability with PCs powered by Windows 10.
Business solutions for your needs
Get the right software and devices for your business or school. Talk through your questions and discuss your needs with one of our product experts or learn about special pricing.
Azure developer kits (DK)
Design and build solutions to AI challenges with sophisticated vision and speech models in Azure Kinect DK or the end-to-end edge AI platform of Azure Percept DK.
Resources and inspiration
The world of .NET
Build apps—from web and mobile to gaming and IoT—on this free, cross-platform, and open-source developer platform.
Windows Dev Center
Create rich application experiences for Windows-based PCs, Windows 10 IoT, Xbox, and more.
Microsoft Developer Network
Discover the tools, information, and training you need to develop products for Windows platforms.
Hosted by a community of Microsoft devs and tech enthusiasts, Channel 9 features videos, podcasts, and interviews exploring technical discussions on Microsoft products and services.
Boost productivity with these apps
Frequently asked questions
Follow these steps:
- Install a free download of Visual Studio Code here. This extensible editor for Windows, macOS, and Linux allows you to code in any programming language.
- Install a free download of .NET here. This open-source developer platform features tools and libraries to build any type of app.
- Create a free GitHub account here and get started. This is the Microsoft Developer code repository.
Microsoft Visual Web Developer was a previous version of Visual Studio, created for developing ASP.NET Web applications (also known as websites). It now exists as Visual Studio Community, a free IDE for students, open-source contributors, and individuals.
You can compare the different editions of Visual Studio 2022 here.
Visual Studio Code is also free to download.
Many Microsoft Developer tools are free to download. To install these tools, select your computer’s OS and click “download.”
Individual accounts cost approximately $19 USD, and company accounts cost approximately $99 USD. Price may vary depending on your location. This is a one-time registration fee and no renewal is required. Get registered and learn more about developer accounts here.
You'll need to sign in with a Microsoft account that you want to associate with your developer account. If you don’t already have a Microsoft account, you can get one when you start the signup process. You’ll also need to pay for the account using a Visa/Mastercard or PayPayl (in supported locations). Note that prepaid credit cards are not accepted.
Why shop at Microsoft Store
From free shipping and returns to expert support and online workshops, we’re here to help you do more with best-in-class devices, software, games, and resources.
Business product experts here to help
We can answer questions, help you find the right solutions for your business, and save time and IT resources on deployment.
Savings and flexible financing
Maximize your IT budget with flexible payment options, discounts on multiple devices, and more.
Coverage and protection plans
Safeguard your investment with accidental damage coverage, next-business-day replacement, SSD data retention, and more.
Build your skills with a product expert. Get your team to sign up for online training courses or book an appointment for one-on-one learning.
Developer Tools and Resources
Discover a world of possibilities with Microsoft developer tools and resources, built specifically for technology professionals. You'll find the latest technology made for those who make technology work. Microsoft has advanced hardware and software that meets the demands of the most discriminating developers. Explore accessories, like mixed reality devices and developer kits, to take your work―and play―to the next level. Compare price points and specs on power-driven laptops and PCs. Get details on the latest programs and suites to help you build next-generation apps and games.
Market-leading hardware and software is just the beginning, though. Microsoft goes beyond simply supplying you with performance-enhancing equipment. Microsoft developer resources are designed to keep you up-to-speed in a constantly evolving industry.
Here are just a few of the many options offered:
- Microsoft Developer Program: Use the Microsoft Developer Program to get step-by-step guidance through the process of releasing and monetizing your games and apps through the Microsoft Store.
- Microsoft Build: Stay in the loop with keynotes, sessions and announcements from Microsoft Build.
- Dev Collection: Grow your skill sets to really stand out at your office with training from the Dev Collective.
- Channel 9: Get in on the conversation and hear from your peers at Channel 9, home to an always-expanding collection of content on the issues that matter most to development professionals.
Whether you are a brand new developer looking to learn or an old hat staying on top of the trends, Microsoft has all the developer tools and resources you need to keep your tech career thriving.
- *Extended return offer period available with Surface devices purchased from Microsoft Store in select markets. Return process must be started within 60 days after customer received the device. Not available for purchases by reseller customers. Extended return offer period limited to 5 device returns total per eligible customer. Excludes Surface Hub. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue offers at any time. Other exclusions and limits may apply. Microsoft Store return policy applies to extended returns. See applicable Microsoft Terms of Sale for more information.