What does it look like when Microsoft’s own Core Services Engineering & Operations (CSEO) organization runs the Line of Business applications for the company on the full suite of Microsoft Cloud services including Azure, Microsoft 365 and Azure DevOps?
As of January 2019, here’s what it looks like:
- $9 Million per month on Azure Spend with more on PaaS than IaaS
- 10k+ IaaS VMs which accounts for >90% of our VM footprint
- 100s of Azure Subscriptions
- 100s of Line of Business Applications
- ~5k Full Time Employees (FTEs) and ~9k Vendors all in the same Azure DevOps project
- 1k+ Azure DevOps BUILD Pipelines executed PER DAY
- 1k+ Azure DevOps RELEASE Pipelines executed PER DAY
- 1000s of work items created and completed per day
- 1000s of pull requests and commits per day
Do you ever wonder how Microsoft uses Azure itself to run an enterprise this large? Or how we approached out multi-year move from multiple on-premise datacenters to being over 90% migrated from VMs on-premise to running on IaaS? Or how we now spend more month over month on Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) than we do on Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)? Or how we use the full suite of Azure tools to manage hundreds of active Azure Subscriptions from security and compliance to cost optimization?
We’re building out a suite of content based on questions we get from customers through the Microsoft field and conversations we have at the Microsoft Executive Briefing Center. If you have a question, you can just reach out to your local Microsoft office and have them reach out to the IT Showcase!
As we complete the topics in this list, we’ll move them below with links to the blog post, related content, and videos.
- Overview of Core Services Engineering & Operations – A short video summarizing our own internal journey over the last few years hitting the major highlights and themes.
- Organizing Subscriptions and Resource Groups within the Enterprise (Updated) – An updated version of the blog post of the same name on the main Azure blog bringing it up to date.
- Enterprise Level Telemetry for Operations and Developers – A two-part conversation with our Unified Telemetry Platform (UTP) team and one of our senior engineering leaders on how our development teams use UTP in conjunction with native Azure tooling like Azure Data Explorer.
- Application Portfolio Management Strategy – A conversation focused on how CSEO rationalized thousands of applications.
- Managing the Engineering Backlog with Azure DevOps Boards – A conversation with one of our Software Engineering leaders on how our teams manage engineering work.
- The Evolution of Service Management – How our traditionally ITIL based operations team changed over the past few years, with Pete Apple.
- Financial and Budgetary Changes after the Cloud Migration – Walking through the changes we went through ourselves from Capex and refresh cycles to Opex.
- Enterprise Networking – Automation – Part of a 5 part series on our major enterprise networking strategic efforts.
- Enterprise Networking – Campus and Core Refresh – Part of a 5 part series on our major enterprise networking strategic efforts.
- Enterprise Networking – Internet First – Part of a 5 part series on our major enterprise networking strategic efforts.
- Enterprise Networking – IPv6 Only Enterprise – Part of a 5 part series on our major enterprise networking strategic efforts.
- Enterprise Networking – Network Segmentation – Part of a 5 part series on our major enterprise networking strategic efforts.
- Our CMDB for the Enterprise in Azure – A conversation around what we keep in a CMDB and how we manage the various aspects, with Diego Baccino and Brent Ponto.
- Enterprise Backup and Disaster Recovery – How we’ve changed our operational systems when moving Backup and DR to Azure.
- Operations Monitoring & Manageability – Moving from SCOM to Log Analytics, Tips and Proven Practices with Matt Carlson.
- Operations Monitoring & Manageability – Monitoring Agent Management Automation with Matt Raffaele.
- Operations Monitoring & Manageability – Migration from SCCM to Azure Update Management while ensuring compliance reporting with Jason Gregori.
- Operations Monitoring & Manageability – Automating Datacenter Boundaries with Dana Baxter.
- Operations Monitoring & Manageability – ARM Deployment Templates for IaaS at Scale with Matt Raffaele.
- More to add around our use of Azure DevOps.
And if there’s something missing, ask your local Microsoft team to reach out to IT Showcase and mention this website!