Snap to Road API
Advanced data visualization and asset tracking with coordinates that follow the geometry of the road.
When navigating via GPS, sometimes the trace or coordinates don’t always match up to the road or path traveled. With the Bing Maps Snap-to-Road API, use the service to specify GPS points (latitude and longitude coordinates) collected along a route to return a corresponding set of data with the points that snap to the most likely roads and corresponding road name that the vehicle or asset has traveled along. The service supports interpolating the GPS points, resulting in a route that smoothly follows the geometry of the road for map display purposes, which is a valuable tool when tracking assets and for data visualization.
Snap-to-Road Attributes and Features
Supports driving and walking routes
Auto and truck speed limit attributes
Easy to Use
Developer-friendly API REST service
Supports interpolating GPS points
Data analysis and logistics
Easy to use REST service for snapping GPS points
- Driving and walking travel modes
- Posted auto and truck speed limit data
- Corresponding interpolated latitude/longitude GPS points
- JSON and XML responses
- GET and POST requests
- Up to 100 locations specified in a GET URL
- Cross domain POST requests with CORs
- Street/road name support for the route’s GPS points
Bing Maps Fleet and Logistics API Services
From personalized experiences to advanced scenarios in the logistics sector, Bing Maps has you covered. Check out the geospatial API services and solutions for enhanced fleet management, routing, vehicle tracking and more.
- Distance Matrix API – Calculate travel times and distance in many-to-many scenarios, with an optional histogram to predict traffic.
- Isochrone API – Provides time-specific isochrones, given the area that can be reach in the time and space criteria.
- Truck Routing API – Determine travel routes that take into consideration a truck or commercial vehicle’s attributes.
Snap-to-Road API uses billable transactions. If you have a Bing Maps key, review the Snap-to-Road API documentation to learn more and start developing your solution. If you don’t have a Bing Maps key, create a Bing Maps account and create a key to authenticate your application. Then follow the documentation to start developing your solution.
For Licensing questions, contact a Bing Maps Sales Specialist.
A: To try this service, create a create a basic account, which will provide up to 125K transactions per calendar year at no charge. Above this usage limit, you will need to purchase a license. To purchase Transactions or Per Asset license, contact a Sales Specialist. To start developing with this API, use the Snap-to-Road API documentation.
- Snap-to-Road API is available for Internal Website Transactions licensing. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, nor is it available through Public Website Transactions.*
- For Mobile Asset Management, the Snap-to-Road API is available by purchasing an add-on license (Note- you must have the underlying Asset Management per asset license first).
A: Enterprise Customers will be able to license via the following options:
- Internal Website Transactions (when using in an application that is not related to asset tracking) -
If you are not licensed for Internal Website Transactions, you can purchase these from your sales partner.
- You will need to create a separate account ID on the Bing Maps Dev Center that will be linked to your Internal Website Transactions license.
- Snap-to-Road API is available for Internal Website Transactions licensing. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, nor is it available through Public Website Transactions. This API will increase the consumption of billable transactions, which may result in the need to purchase additional transactions.
- Per Asset (applicable when being used as part of asset tracking solution) - To use the Snap-to-Road API, you will need an underlying Asset Management per asset license and will need to purchase an additional per asset license for the use of this new service. For licensing and pricing questions, please contact a Sales Specialist.
A: Consumption of the Snap-to-Road API is 1 call = 1 billable transaction. With a Basic key, you can try the API at no cost for up to 125K transactions per calendar year. For an Enterprise key, you will need to purchase billable transactions based upon your consumption. Contact a Sales Specialist for pricing.
A: To try the Snap-to-Road API, you will need to create a Basic key. When you are ready to deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key.
A: The Snap-to-Road API is available for Basic and Enterprise accounts (normal TOU limits will apply for Basic accounts), and is available for Internal Website transactions or as an additional per asset license. It is not available for Known User or Light Known User licenses.
If you would like to try the API, you can create a Basic key. To deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key.
Bing Maps Resources
- Click here for Bing Maps case studies.